Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  217
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Watch Enthusiasts Thread!

WTF
    got the call yesterday from the jewelry store that a nice box showed up from Switzerland

the big white box is pretty tame

20170121_150809_resized.jpg

but the box inside is pretty spectacular

20170121_150824_resized.jpg

giddy up

20170121_150912_resized.jpg

another nice mechanical chunk into the rotation

20170121_151011_resized.jpg

this is a real nice piece....it's getting large at 44mm and it's a thick bastard....band is super comfortable and the lume is incredible

slightly thicker than my Oris Artelier but same diameter and seems to be a tad lighter...wears real nice

the yellow markings sorta change depending on the angle and the way the light hits it....very subtle at some angles and seriously pops from other angles

if I ever get thrown off a cruise ship and drown....this thing will keep on ticking at 1000ft

most water it will ever see with me is if I'm walking in the rain

very nice watch WTF
    Saleen 89-373....long gone....!!

Club Supporter
    That's pretty cool and I would have thought it would have been larger than 44mm based on the pics. The Zenith I picked up is 45mm which is the top end of what I could wear but it doesn't feel over-sized on the wrist (even though I don't have a large wrist).

I love watches but can't afford what some of you are posting. This is what I have been wearing for the past year.
    IMG_2453.JPG
    IMG_2452.JPG

Club Supporter
    This is pretty cool...would love to get a tourbillon in the future although the gyrotourbillon is not in my budget

Club Supporter
    This one from Zenith is pretty cool too

tulowd
    Have lurked on here recently, have never really been into watches beyond their sentimental value, in part because I know exactly where this would/could/will lead to, lol. Here is what I got at this stage, nothing fancy:

My dad gave me a Seiko Quartz Alarm for my 18th birthday in 1982. Haven't worn it since I bought a Tissot PR100 in '97 (before Swatch merger) while honeymooning in Antigua. Had a few in between that I never wore. Still looking for my 1970s era Timex metal case watch I wore as a teen, it's somewhere in the house, possibly buried among Fox parts.

Pulled the Seiko from the safety deposit box, cleaned and changed the battery, and voila - it worked immediately. Gave it to my boy for his 18th birthday yesterday; he immediately put it on...hoping he really loves it and understands and respects its importance.

A good friend who collects watches has been schooling moi a little: EBAY is a good resource, buy from within Canada due to the weak CAD Peso; Hamiltons and Accutrons can represent great value, ETA Valjoux 7750 movement is the one to go for, and the all important - what do I like.
    Being equipped with small wrists (6.75"), the Tissot PR100 is 37 mm body/bezel, weighs 88.2 g; something a little larger and different is in my future, but not really likin the gangster 42mm + lumps, even if they look cool. Tried on JT's Omega Seamaster 42 mm yesterday, and it's too big for this manchild, IMO.

Also found my uncle's Aureole 14k rosish gold (not plated) pocket watch from the 60s

and my mom's 18k (?) gold 1964 Tissot she received for my birth when we lived in Switzerland in the 60's:

Both work, both windups. Also found 4 solid gold coins from my grandparents - 3 Austrian Kaiser coins, one Swiss Helvetica. Found Opa (grandpappy)'s WWI bravery medal, which will be framed forthwith.

Any suggestions on who could inspect and give me a lowdown on what these 2 vintage gold timepieces and coins are worth, and the relevant specs etc ?
    Would like to trade / sell the two watches and the coins and get a decent automatic timepiece (probably a Tissot again, since that seems to be a family choice).
    Something to wear instead of having these collect dust in the bankvault. Got mom's permission to sell them this morning; she laughed and asked why I hadn't already; guess I'm sentiMENTAL.

Thx for any comments and help guys!

WTF
    ^^^^for the time pieces....sign up to the watchuseek forums

http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php

they'll have a forum in there where you'll likely get some quality feedback on those two pieces...the guys that hang out there know their stuff

make sure to lurk the for sale forums....there's some nice stuff in there

got my Monaco McQueen via that sight from a seller in Vermont when our dollar was on par with the USD.....and based on the prices I'm seeing now....I could probably get double what I paid for it....about 7 or 8 years ago

the watch market is interesting....the price of new Omegas have skyrocketted over the past 9ish years....so much now that when I see what people are selling used Speedmaster Dates for....it's actually more than I paid brand new 9 years ago

it's nuts.....probably 6 years ago the wife and I were at Birks in Fairview Mall just kicking tires...tried on a Planet Ocean 45mm Chrono (Black with Orange for those who know the piece)...price back then was $6500.....price now for the current and comparable PO is over $10,000

so for any of you stretching to justify the full retard nature of spending large on a new timepiece....it ain't gonna get cheaper as the years go by

tulowd
    Thx Tim; I figured you would chime in - very helpful. Found some details on whatchuseek, even how to open the back of the pocket watch without destroying it. Inscription is 1916, not sure who's initials, perhaps my uncle's dad or grandfather ( uncle was married to my moms sister, he had no living relatives when he passed in 1980). It looks like the movement is all gold and German made, it differs from the Swiss mechanisms according to the experts.

Appears the pocket and the Tissot would each sell for app $ 1k US, I'm sure the jeweler will tell me to cut that number in half or more.

Would really like to trade them both for something nice that will stay in the family permanently. An Omega Speedmaster Racing or Professional Moon Walk would be my first choices, looks like $2500-$ 3500 to start. I doubt the extra bread is available unless I stop building the Fox, but we shall see.

WTF
    ^^^ I knew the guys on that site would help.....very cool

If I were going for one single piece that would hold it's value best and inevitably be a family heirloom....it would be a traditional manual-wind Speedy Pro Moon Watch.....aside from slight tweaks on the calibre of the movement....it's basically been the exact same watch for like 60 years

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches...1130423001005/

at $6k Cdn new...if you can haul in $2k USD for those two pieces....I think you're in the price range of getting a nice previously loved version

I don't own a Speedy Pro.....yet.....but when I see a nice one on a black perforated strap with the deployant clasp in the for sale forums.....my trigger finger gets real itchy