Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  3

Thread: 92 daily D insurance Q

92 daily D insurance Q

I'm considering putting my 92 on the road for the summer but as a daily. I figure it's worth 10-12K but assume if damaged or written off my ins will give me peanuts.

I currently insure my house and winter beater with the same outfit for discount. I'm on the fence about collision but mostly concerned with getting a fair compensation if hit.

My 2009 beater is $900 without collision and has a book value between 4-5K. I assume my 92 will be similarly priced. Will going out for an appraisal be good enough, or even needed. I'd be surprised if I put on 10K kms per year with whatever I'm driving.

Can I do better, if so where?

Thats a sticky one. Most insurance companies make you sort of pick between “agreed value” or “daily use”.

Even with an appraisal you would still be at the mercy of your insurance co with respect to a total loss. They would likely argue some depreciation since appraisal, or find a rust bucket as a comp to argue payout.

I think the best course of action would be find a good broker, get an agreed value policy written on the 92 with some stipulations that allow you to use it frequently within some reasonable confines. Keep your cheap beater on the road and split time between the two as much as keeps the Insurance Co happy and you behind the wheel as much as you can.

talked to broker today. They said to get an appraisal. I have to get an alignment done and from there will get the appraisal.

Once that's done the broker said to call back and sort it out. I didn't get a sense they'd be cutting me a break. there's always Haggerty, or pull the beater off the road for summer.