Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Shaving

Shaving

I've been using safety razors for the last few years. Started when my daughter gave me a "Rockwell" razor. I got decent shaves but still found multi blade to be superior.

She then gifted me "Luthor Lather" a tallow based shaving lotion. Really nice, made a difference and as a bonus acts as a moisturizer. The GF commented she liked as well.

I fell for the hype and just ordered a Henson razor. The hype is real, it works better than the Rockwell, and as good as my multi blade.

Before you real hard core guys chime in, no I don't have a straight razor, never used one, never been to a barber for a straight razor shave. I'll believe you that they're great.

I'll retain my amatuer shaving status and simply hype the Henson, and Luthor Lather.

that's all.

I use an Edwin Jagger Razor. With Feather brand blades.

Truefitt & Hill shave products

Straight razor takes too much time.

Full beard so really only shaving my neck and edges. One can of cream last me over a year

Club Supporter
    My DD is the Rockwell 6S (stainless steel) razor with #3 head (I can't use the more aggressive 5/6 head which is closer to a straight blade) with Astra Green blades; and a synthetic brush for speed.

Feathers are great blades and one of the sharper blades but too much for me. Bolzanos are pretty sharp and smooth also.

Haven't tried the Henson razor yet but will be picking up a Karve "Overlander" razor (stainless steel) sometime this year.

https://karveshaving.com/

These guys are down your way if you're looking to re-stock (have a used a bunch of the brands they carry; haven't tried Noble Otter which has great reviews and another is MacDuffs).

https://topofthechain.ca/

Which Rockwell do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    My DD is the Rockwell 6S (stainless steel) razor with #3 head (I can't use the more aggressive 5/6 head which is closer to a straight blade) with Astra Green blades; and a synthetic brush for speed.

Feathers are great blades and one of the sharper blades but too much for me. Bolzanos are pretty sharp and smooth also.

Haven't tried the Henson razor yet but will be picking up a Karve "Overlander" razor (stainless steel) sometime this year.

https://karveshaving.com/

These guys are down your way if you're looking to re-stock (have a used a bunch of the brands they carry; haven't tried Noble Otter which has great reviews and another is MacDuffs).

https://topofthechain.ca/

6C

Which Rockwell do you have?
    6C with 3 head

Henson better out of the box.

Luthor Lather is worth checking out also, great for the skin. I still use a can of foam when travelling but if there was a travel kit for the Luthor I'd use it

I like the look of the handles on those Karve’s

My only complain on my EJ is the handle is too smooth. Can be slippery when you hands are wet. My plan has been to try and turn my own out of some walnut scraps. Just another project I don’t have time for.

I’m due for a new brush. Current one came in the EJ set. It’s real badger but starting to get some hairs pulling out.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    I like the look of the handles on those Karve’s

My only complain on my EJ is the handle is too smooth. Can be slippery when you hands are wet. My plan has been to try and turn my own out of some walnut scraps. Just another project I don’t have time for.

I’m due for a new brush. Current one came in the EJ set. It’s real badger but starting to get some hairs pulling out.

One of my first was an EJ but haven't used it since I got the Rockwell 6S - I like the weight of the machined stainless steel and the handle is not slippery even with wet hands. The Karve looks like it will perform similarly to the 6S.

I met the owner of Aylsworth Razors last weekend and saw their brush with the synthetic knot and it had body similar to badger.....more than my current couple of synthetics so considering picking one up.

https://aylsworthrazors.com/en-ca

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    6C with 3 head

Henson better out of the box.

Luthor Lather is worth checking out also, great for the skin. I still use a can of foam when travelling but if there was a travel kit for the Luthor I'd use it

The Hensen looks nice - I may try one in the future. It would be different to the 6S though because of material (whereas Hensen vs 6C more comparable).

I'll try one of the creams from Luthor - haven't heard of them before.

For travelling I use options like these (creams in pumps or cans/jars) as they are very slick and can be used with a brush or brushless/hand applied without reverting back to canned shaving cream.

IMG_4442.jpg