Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 86 GT won't start... link to video posted

86 t-tops
    Jumped from the positive pole to the small pole on the starter solenoid, same noise. Disconnected the negative battery cable and used a jumper cable from the negative post to a clean bolt, same noise... car is not cranking over, just the same buzzing as in the video.

I'm wondering if the starter didn't disengage the last time I drove it and burnt out while I drove home, hence the burnt smell when this happened, it's now making the noise whenever I try to start the car... would that make the car die while I was driving?

I still swear that the buzzing sound is coming from the top of the engine though...

86 t-tops
    Oh... just get sparks if I jump the positive and negative terminal on the starter solenoid (two large posts on it), but shouldn't that happen?

Slope
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 t-tops View Post
    Oh... just get sparks if I jump the positive and negative terminal on the starter solenoid (two large posts on it), but shouldn't that happen?
    Both of the LARGE poles on the starter solenoid are Positive.

When you jump these, the starter should engage. It will take some pressure to make a good contact between the two posts using a wrench or similar tool.

86 t-tops
    Ok, had never done this before so I didn't hold the screwdriver in place for long enough with enough pressure...

Same noise occurs when jumping both large poles on starter solenoid.

Any ideas? Solenoid on the starter fried? I'm going to try and get the car up in the air and test it again to see if the noise is just vibrating up from the starter...

That sounds like a starter solenoid. You probably burnt out the brushes in it. Swap out for a different starter and try again. I have had them burn out and it does smell like something is burning.

Slope
    Ok, had never done this before so I didn't hold the screwdriver in place for long enough with enough pressure...
    Now you know.

Same noise occurs when jumping both large poles on starter solenoid.

Any ideas? Solenoid on the starter fried? I'm going to try and get the car up in the air and test it again to see if the noise is just vibrating up from the starter...
    Just be sure that your battery+solenoid+ground connections are clean and tight. Also, that the battery is good and strong.

If you can get the car up enough to investigate the starter, I would be interested to see what you discover.

im no mechaic by any mean...lols my 2cents starter solenoid stuck on the ring gear maybe ?
    92 rcsb ftw

86 t-tops
    Car is up on ramps... Buddy coming over to short the starter solenoid while I check out the starter.

Was talking to a speed shop I use and they recommended a mini starter from DB Electronics. The admitted that they come from china but they're affordable and have used them for years with great success. Anyone ever used one?

Stock rebuilt starter is more than up to the task. I'd pull the starter to inspect / bench test. If it turns out it was engaged with the ring gear, when an unexplained occurrence like that happens, always suggest you replace the solenoid at the same time. Do not be tempted to buy anything other than an OEM Ford only.

86 t-tops
    Certain it's the starter... vibration/noise obviously coming from it when I was under the car. Thanks for all the help and suggestions on this one. Hope to remove it today and have it bench tested but I'm thinking it's dead.

The reason I was looking at a mini starter is that I'm building a motor, with lots of help from friends, and will be running long tube headers... I believe I need a mini starter to provide extra clearance in this case. I'd simply use the mini on my stock motor while I build the new motor...

Thanks again for the help.