Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heat Pumps - I have Q's

the conversation evolved, as they usualy do. and the discussion turned to government subsidies. 92redragtop said subsidies should be removed from farmers. I agreed and gave an example why. do you assume a simple example should fit every single scenario? I am also from a farming family all that's left in the family is the 3 acers my family have, it blead dry for years and there was never a dime from the government to help out. only regulation and red tape that made things more expensive and difficult for the little guy, while helping the big guys. as the same time I've grown up alongside those benefiting. I've talked fist hand to the dairy farmer. who openly said he buys land, new equipment yearly and builds barns specifically so his farm doesn't make a profit. so he doesn't have to pay takes, and can claim subsidies, I've had first hand conversations with pig and egg farmers who do the same thing, Cronyism and corporatism exists in the farming industry just like any other and its specifically designed limit competitions. the same reason small business are closing down at a record pace while big big stores thrive. small farms cant make ends meat and the bigger ones are getting handouts to make money.

Farm subsidies account for less than 15% of total farm receipts across the industry. Most of the subsidies relate (at least used to kinda removed from it now) to innovation and enhancement (equipment or land related) so it's not entirely free money. There are subsidy programs that are in place to "top up" farmers bottom lines so I guess if someone wanted to write down new equipment and buildings every year to get these they could but last I checked it was a premium based model so not entirely free and max yearly top up was like a million which Idk if you guys have priced out large AG equipment recently that doesn't get you that far and you would still have to purchase it first and hope you get topped.

Subsidies are important because of your last point small farms are getting HAMMERED by rising costs, land values, and the fact legit no one wants to be a farmer anymore cuz for all we say about having toys and trucks it's a fucking rough job. As for letting free market dictate, we like to say that until we price race ourselves to the bottom and are completely dependent on foreign production then when they raise prices scream "why don't we make anything here" among other glaring issues.

Also, have a heat pump/mini split for my garage, it's great for zone/single space but no chance in hell I'd do my whole house with one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    I have intentionally stayed out of this thread, because IMO, the OP got the answer he was fishing for in post #7

/thread

Yeah, that was just an opinion that agreed with my bias. 92 Ragtop offered some experience. I can't say I got a solid answer in either direction but leaned towards doing nothing and keeping what I have (high efficiency gas) despite probably qualifying for "free" heat pump.

But WTF is this?

This anecdote certainly wasn’t my experience. As the son of a farmer, I did NOT inherit millions. NOR did we have new houses, cars, tractors, or ANY toys.
    I'll guess it wasn't a dairy farm

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Also, have a heat pump/mini split for my garage, it's great for zone/single space but no chance in hell I'd do my whole house with one.
    real world experience is the feedback i was looking for (and suspected).

my gut tells me ground source or water source heat pump as part of a new build might make sense. I'm skeptical a retrofit will work out unless there's cheap electricity for the life of the installation, especially air source.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post

This will be our second winter with a cold climate HP for the house and so far it's been great and cheaper on a usage basis. I haven't layered on an amortization on the operating cost as yet but time will tell on lifecycle cost of ownership (mechanical)