Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Haul Transport.

Short Haul Transport.

Just wondering if anyone here can recommend a reliable short haul transport company?
    The vehicle (small suv) I'm interested in purchasing will be for daily use, so no need for an enclosed trailer or roll out the red carpet treatment. The vehicle is located in Cornwall 4 hours (440 km) away from me.
    Even if any members here with a truck and trailer who would like to do this and make a few bucks, please let me know.

Thanks!

I've used Safe Auto Transport out of Oakville before, moved a car from Quebec (MTL suburb area) to Windsor for around $700 which I felt was very fair. Would use them again.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Club Supporter
    Don't know of any haulers but another option is Via Rail to Cornwall and drive it back? Did that with Amtrak one way from Toronto to Albany NY to pick up my Volvo DD, went to DMV and got temp permit, and drove back to Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    I've used Safe Auto Transport out of Oakville before, moved a car from Quebec (MTL suburb area) to Windsor for around $700 which I felt was very fair. Would use them again.
    Thank you. How long ago was this?

Currently getting quotes of $800-$830 open trailer using Shiply.

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    Don't know of any haulers but another option is Via Rail to Cornwall and drive it back? Did that with Amtrak one way from Toronto to Albany NY to pick up my Volvo DD, went to DMV and got temp permit, and drove back to Toronto.
    Thank you for the suggestion. This may be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    Thank you. How long ago was this?

Currently getting quotes of $800-$830 open trailer using Shiply.

Thank you for the suggestion. This may be an option.
    Spring of 2022. I just checked my emails to confirm, it was $800 taxes in actually, that was fully enclosed door to door. I submitted the price request from their website and they followed up from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    How convoluted is the process of getting a temp permit and driving it back as a Canadian. I've been browsing the southern states for something for a while.

Buy me a couple train tickets one way to Ottawa and I'll drive it down to you.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by IanGTCS View Post
    How convoluted is the process of getting a temp permit and driving it back as a Canadian. I've been browsing the southern states for something for a while.
    It was almost as easy as buying from a car dealer here - the only thing more "complicated" if you want to call it that was timing arrival at border with the car since the sales transaction/VIN paperwork has to arrive at the border (eg. Queenston Bridge) 72 hours (3 business days) before you arrive with the car. I guess that's so they can run checks to see if it's stolen. Once I arrived, the inspection/paperwork process took less than 30 minutes then crossed the bridge, paid the tax on the Canadian side, then drove home. I used the US permit for a few weeks before getting it plated for Ontario.

I bought from a used car dealer so they faxed the sales paperwork to US Border at Queenston/Lewiston ahead of the 3-day period and I went with them to the DMV in Albany to get the temp permit. Same as getting one here at Service Ontario. If a private sale it might be tougher to get the seller to send the paperwork to the border in a timely manner.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetoy View Post
    Buy me a couple train tickets one way to Ottawa and I'll drive it down to you.
    Thank you for the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Spring of 2022. I just checked my emails to confirm, it was $800 taxes in actually, that was fully enclosed door to door. I submitted the price request from their website and they followed up from there.
    That was a really good deal.