Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear brake piston stuck

Rear brake piston stuck

Working on one of the daily drivers rear brakes. Did them not even 10k km’s ago. Passenger rear wore right down while all the others are fine. I believe the culprit is the piston. It appears to be seized. I have the tool on it now, won’t turn in it all and now the brake tool is stuck in there and I can’t turn it to get it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

More info on the car? Do the rear caliper pistons push in or turn in?
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

It’s a 2013 Ford Focus. They turn in. I used this same tool the last time with no issues. I put the tool on and started turning, piston wouldn’t budge and now it’s in there so tight I can’t get enough torque on it to turn it the other direction to loosen it.

Loosen bleeder screw for a second to see if perhaps the flex hose is to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Loosen bleeder screw for a second to see if perhaps the flex hose is to blame.
    This was going to be my plan when I get home from work tonight. Failing that I guess the whole caliper is coming off and going to the local shop to see if they can get it out. Definitely something wrong with it for sure, pads were worn right down to the point of the bracket gouging out the rotor. Every other tire is perfectly fine.

I had the same problem on wifey's passenger rear C30 Volvo, that uses same platform and parts like brakes when Volvo was under Ford ownership. Just rusted and seized solid. I also broke my Power-fist tool.
    Just take it off and hit Napa store for replacement, was about $ 60 about 3 years ago. Don't waste time trying to repair.
    Bleed the brakes, but make the wife help pump brakes. She will squeal while helping you, but your brakes will be golden.