Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey guys, don’t forget to leave your car keys by the door

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    The contract is we the public pay taxes and abdicate use of violence to the police in return for law and order. Failure to uphold the law and order side of the contract is going to result in some measure of vigilanteism. This will be condemned by those so soft and weak they are incapable of vigilaniteism. The constabulary likewise will be incapable of admitting failure to uphold their side of the contract and prosecute vigilantes. The former high trust society (safely leave doors unlocked etc) will deteriorate to a low trust society. All cultures are equal.
    Dam, that was almost poetic

Ongoing home invasion attempts in my neighborhood. A group of 5 trying to kick in doors around 3 am. The new homes all appear to have steel doors thankfully. Me being an old hold out home appears to be slim pickings (true). Just like driving a beater means fewer people mess with you on the road, so too does my abode. I like to think I'd be able to fend them off, but that'll depend on how stout my wooden door is. 10 years ago unlocked doors wouldn't be a concern.

Put up a beware of dog sign.

Ongoing home invasion attempts in my neighborhood. A group of 5 trying to kick in doors around 3 am. The new homes all appear to have steel doors thankfully. Me being an old hold out home appears to be slim pickings (true). Just like driving a beater means fewer people mess with you on the road, so too does my abode. I like to think I'd be able to fend them off, but that'll depend on how stout my wooden door is. 10 years ago unlocked doors wouldn't be a concern.
    WTF? That would be terrifying to a sleeping family. Steel doors aren’t where the strength is though, it’s all in the door frame, wood ones are easy to break, need to be reinforced.

Seeing posts about this on a local neighbors app, complete with video. The door held. Cops called and homeowner told they were 30 minutes away at best. I doubt I'll be targeted but have taken measures. My place is a knock down, large property so i'm not investing in anything that won't come with me when I move.

Not home invaders but I've already had a few late night face off's with groups of teens on my yard. No violence just a lot of bark with no bite. Sad state of society when one old man can intimidate 5 soy boys.

The contract is we the public pay taxes and abdicate use of violence to the police in return for law and order. Failure to uphold the law and order side of the contract is going to result in some measure of vigilanteism. This will be condemned by those so soft and weak they are incapable of vigilaniteism. The constabulary likewise will be incapable of admitting failure to uphold their side of the contract and prosecute vigilantes. The former high trust society (safely leave doors unlocked etc) will deteriorate to a low trust society. All cultures are equal.
    I listened to Scott Adams talking about police not enforcing laws. If you shit is stolen, broken etc and the police won't enforce the laws, it's the police and state that are in effect stealing or breaking your shit. Especially if you're being restrained or punished for protecting your stuff yourself.

I can't say i disagree.

If you adopt this reframe, suing the police or state for whatever damages is the next logical step.