Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chainsaw tech, am I an idiot?

chainsaw tech, am I an idiot?

I picked up a jug of bar oil yesterday. $26 and I got to thinking. I've got a few jugs of waste motor oil, and waste ATF (dextron 3). Why not just use the waste oil for bar/chain lube?

The am I an idiot can be rolled into this q or addressed separately.

Always wondered same thing but since saw sees so little use why fight the cost of proper bar oil.

I'm cheap for starters and without going on a rant, current conditions have me questioning every spend.

I'd sooner spend my money on women and whisky than my chainsaw (which sees more than occasional duty) .

Love my 026

I just used DR google and it looks like 20-30 weight is about right. My used 5w30 might do the trick. I'll report back.

it works but a little messy in the warmer weather and you will go thru it quick. I've done it and a lot of farmers and country folk in general will do it especially if your in the middle of something and out of bar oil.
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

looks like used gear oil is an option too. That shit is super expensive and I hate dumping that.

As long as it’s “clean” you wouldn’t want gunk clogging up your feed.

But I would be weary In the summer (often over looked is the difference between winter oil summer oil. Summer oil is much thicker other wise it just runs out in the first few min use and then runs dry.

Probably be depended on how often and how hard you are using it and comparing that to the cost of new bars and chains.

I cut alot of wood for a “diy” as I heat both my house and shop and cut all my own wood.

I don’t think I use one 4 lt jug per year. And I get 4-5 season out of. Bar and 3 chains I rotate through. (Bar flip every chain swap)

you've got me rethinking, I might be penny wise pound foolish here.

I cracked open my wallet and bought a 4Litre jug of bar oil. Home Depot is the cheapest by about $5

I've used it in a pinch but proper bar oil is designed to be stickier so it stays on the bar and chain longer. Any oil is better than none but bar oil is best.

My "stump" bar and chain I run whatever on, but for the dollar or two a year I buy bar oil.

One of my friends bought a cheap electric and only uses vegetable oil on it for cutting wood for his smoker. Minimal use but figures he doesn't want to be eating cooked off motor oil.