Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  44

Thread: Mustang Theft Deterrent

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mustang Theft Deterrent

My 2024 Mustang GT is supposed to have Ford's latest anti-theft preventions. Apparently it is hard to hack. That said, as all you T.O. guys know, auto theft is epidemic. A relative who lives in Milton had his brand new 120K SUV stolen from his driveway. The thieves cut the wires to the horn, read the canbus, cloned the ignition data and disabled OnStar in 13 seconds. He is a retired GM automotive engineer. He spoke with industry buddies who said to try the following. Cover your VIN as thieves can get enormous amounts of data from it including unlock codes which they can scan several days in advance to prepare for the later theft. While driving keep your fob in a faraday pouch so the fob can't be cloned by a thief following you in a parking lot. At home keep all fobs in a faraday box so thieves walking past your house can't clone the fobs. Both are available cheap on Amazon.ca He also uses a modern club that is hard to drill out. With all of that he (and I)may do the following: A local Dodge dealership offers ALL clients who purchase new SUVs, Jeeps, Challengers, Chargers etc. installation of a "kill switch". This is fail safe (unless they flat bed your vehicle) as it is analogue and can't be copied, read or cloned. I assume the Dodge dealer will run the "kill switch" off the ignition or fuel pump wiring. I telephoned Ford Canada to ask if installing a "kill switch" on my 2024 Mustang would violate my warranty. I expected them to laugh at me. Not so! I guess Ford is well aware of the problems we face. I explained what the Dodge dealer was doing to a Ford customer service representative. She and I had a long conversation. She needed to consult before answering. To my surprise, I was given a case number and told IF the dealer (Ford Dealer - we discussed exactly which dealer would do the work - it is a high volume Mustang dealer) contacted Ford Customer Service (Toronto) and followed Ford Mustang wiring diagrams there was no reason Ford wouldn't approve a "kill switch" installation. I haven't pursued that further yet but probably will once the weather improves. In the meantime, I have purchased a neat device from Amazon.ca that will deter joyriders (not pros) it is a cable loop that goes through the steering wheel and clicks onto the seat belt safety harness beside the center tunnel. If I leave it overnight I will also run an HD multi strand ss coated cable through the steering wheel and loop it around the track for the driver's seat, securing it with a hardened alloy lock. Again these last two are just to stop joyriding thieves - not pros. Until I get a "kill switch" if I am leaving the car overnight in an unprotected or sketchy area I will just pull the fuse for either the ignition or fuel pump. I don't like battery shut off switches as I think they could cancel the car's learned programs. Any other suggestions apopreciated! cheers MAT
    Last edited by MAT; 04-30-2024 at 12:54 PM.