Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine temps

Engine temps

what is the best range in terms of engine temps that you'd want your 302 to hover around on the warmest days we may see in the Summerchant? 180 or 190?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

tulowd
    My all iron carbed 333 stroker runs around 170* water temp and 190* oil temp on all but the most brutal of hot days, or if I'm beating on it. Be Cool alu rad, Ford racing oil cooler, Victor water pump. EFI motors usually can run a bit hotter, carbed likes cooler better.
    I would say 185* would be a good target, I wouldn't like mine any hotter than that.

Wow ok unless my fairly new temp gauge is faulty I'm hitting 210 and my car started bogging pretty bad

Summertime*

Are you running electric fans or just the stock fan?

Mine runs steady at 190 all day long, but hits 210 at the track. No bogging, but i bring her in to cool off. Have a new water pump to install.
    -Don____________

Stuck in a bit of traffic and it got to 210 and every time I left a red light she would bog and cough backfire a bit then I'd just floor it and it was like she cleared her throught it then continued on not as rough but still noticable

tulowd
    I have a Flexalite 175 electric fan. 210 is way too hot in my opinion; you may need to think about electric fan or a new water pump, if that reading is correct.

Do you know what's in it for a thermostat?

If it's running that poorly at those temps, either rich and partially fouling a plug or going extremely lean, either one can cause the symptoms your describing. Ideal / best performance temp would be 185-200, however for many combinations you'll see temps far north of that on a hot n humid day. If your fine on the hwy and only rises at lights or slow driving, needs more air / upgrade to your fan and or correct tuning.