Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crank clearance issue

86 t-tops
    Thanks for linking the photos... Have to figure out how to do that one day...

I won't hit anything with anything....

Going to double check the clearance before I do anything... Nothing is simple...

Perfect temp to take the t-tops off and go for a drive... Think I'll do that first...

Thanks

86 t-tops
    Double checked my clearance again... placed plasti-guage across the entire lenght of the bearings... very similar results. #1 journal is .0015 while the others are all consistently the same width but too tight... just less than .001 inches of clearance.

Going to order a set of overzied bearings that will give me an extra .001 clearance and put me close to .002 clearnace in total...

make sure the thrust bearing in the middle has the proper clearance end to end also

Quote Originally Posted by 86 t-tops View Post
    Double checked my clearance again... placed plasti-guage across the entire lenght of the bearings... very similar results. #1 journal is .0015 while the others are all consistently the same width but too tight... just less than .001 inches of clearance.

Going to order a set of overzied bearings that will give me an extra .001 clearance and put me close to .002 clearnace in total...
    So I only have had one coffee so far today, but if your clearance is too tight and you are after additional clearance to get closer to .002, I think you are after undersized bearings, not oversize? What do the experts say that do this for a living?

Built not bought! Follow this link to my 08 GT/CS Air Lift Performance Suspension Install Thread or this link to my Garage Thread

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my car and parts for what I told her they cost!

86 t-tops
    End to end clearance noted...

As for oversized or undersized bearings the way it was explained to me was the term relates to the crank... so oversized bearings are for an oversized crank since they allow for additional clearance. If you have a crank that has had the journals reduced in size, say by .001, then you get undersized journals since your journals are now smaller or undersized.

I found this a little confusing so I read several post about it over and over until it sunk in... not sure if it sunk in correctly but the bearings I've ordered will provide me with .001 clearance, which is basically what I need.