Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off the road.... again! Fuel pump issue

86 t-tops

Off the road.... again! Fuel pump issue

Just got the car back on the road for about a week and a half after dealing with a starter issue (thanks again TMC for the help on that one). Went for a drive last night and the car died... felt like it ran out of gas...

Now I've had this problem before, less than two years ago when my original 86 fuel pump died on the 401. Turn the key, no fuel pump priming sound...

Same thing now, turn key no fuel pump priming sound, car turns over but won't start (no gas going to the motor). But my fuel pump is less than two years old, installed by DaSilva Racing. BBK fuel pump...

Prior to me having it towed from Toronto to Pickering anyone have other suggestions as to what I should check in the event it's not the fuel pump?

Thanks

bored
    don't quote me but I think there is a relay switch behind pass.kick panel that might be the problem

Relay location

86-'91 = under driver seat
    '92-'93 = inner fender, under MAF meter

Also check to be sure it didn't trip the collision switch in the trunk.

86 t-tops
    I checked my voltage at the harness on the back side of the fuel tank with the key in the on position and I'm getting fluctuating voltage from 9.7 and down... no idea if this is right or not...

Will check collision switch as well...

Thanks

Slope
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 t-tops View Post
    I checked my voltage at the harness on the back side of the fuel tank with the key in the on position and I'm getting fluctuating voltage from 9.7 and down...
    What is the voltage at the relay socket?

Even at 9.7 volts, the pump should still do something.

Amperage/current is another thing...

tulowd
    if the pump has been receiving low voltage (measure voltage with it running, between its ground and power input) chances are good it is hurting the electric motor parts and making it hot from the resistance - it will attempt to draw higher current; much like an amplifier that gets hot when the voltage is too low.

First thing is to ensure the pump is getting decent power - then if it doesn't work; means you gotta get it pulled out.

86 t-tops
    I will test voltage at the relay...

Thanks

86 t-tops
    Ok... had my car towed to DaSilva so that they could take a look at what I thought was a fuel pump issue. They tested the fuel pump... it's working but not priming when you try and start the car... they found a burnt wire coming off the starter solenoid which tells the computer to turn on and make things happen... they installed a fusible link where the burnt wire was and things didn't work out...

Joe was very helpful and suggested that I replace the main engine wiring harness instead of trying to track down what looks to be a short in the harness... he indicated that I would need a harness from an 86 GT, since that is what my car is, as the 87 and 88 speed density harnesses won't work.

Has anyone ever dealt with a similar issue and were you limited to the same year harness as your car? I'm sure Joe is right but if I could use a harness from 86 to 88 it would make my search for a decent one that much easier....

toofast306
    Pretty sure the initial prime is a function of the TFI. Do you have a spare TFI to test? It's a helluva lot easier to replace the TFI than an entire harness.
    Incidentally, did Joe identify the burnt wire? I presume it is a brown fusible link that leads to the yellow wire for both the pump and EEC. Trouble for me was that the brown wire doesn't appear on a wiring schematic aside from an eyelet to the starter solenoid.