Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off the road.... again! Fuel pump issue

86 t-tops
    Was trying to trace the short with a tool I have, sends a low voltage through the shorted wire so that it can be traced, and I think it burnt out the replacement relay... prior to burning out the black orange wire did show as a short on my tool... perhaps right where it passes through the fire wall... beyond this I'm running out of ideas... don't think I'm driving anywere soon...

Slope
    I'd pop open the case of the ECM if you don't find a short on any circuit that carries VPWR:

ISC
    EVR
    CANP
    TAB/TAD
    A/C WOT cutoff relay
    Fuel pump relay
    Injectors + harness

86 t-tops
    So I took a break, had a beer, and went back out to the garage. Started to re-test all the voltages I had already tested... noted in previous posts...

I was testing pin 37 on the EEC harness, expecting to get nothing as before, and I got 12 volts!

Plugged the harness into the EEC and turned the key... car started! I have no idea why...

The replacement EEC relay, which I thought I burnt out durning testing, was in and the inline fuse I installed on the black and orange wire near the starter solenoid had a 10 amp fuse in it. I have unravelled the wiring harness to hunt for damage and moved it around... perhaps that eliminated the short but not the best solution.

No confidence in driving the car... time to get CAA...

Well you are on the right track....
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

86 t-tops
    Oh... one question... how warm should the EEC power relay get when the car is running, if at all?

86 t-tops
    I should also add that I broke the tabs off of one side of the salt and pepper shaker connections (behind the upper intake). Is this going to be a major issue?

Slope
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 t-tops View Post
    I should also add that I broke the tabs off of one side of the salt and pepper shaker connections (behind the upper intake). Is this going to be a major issue?
    LOL, no. It's rare to find a Fox that has them still intact.

A zip-tie around each pair will keep them together if it will worry you.

+1 on the above.

86 t-tops
    Had the same thought when I bought some tonight.

86 t-tops
    So I took the car out for a quick drive and it died again after about 5 minutes of driving... fuse on the black/orange wire from the starter solenoid blew (used a fuse instead of a fusible link)... tried a new fuse and it blew again...

I let the car run for 20 minutes the other day... no problems... perhaps it's something that occurs while the car is driving that causes a short...

I'm at a loss... next step is to try and push the car into my garage as it's currently sitting on my drive way...