Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Suggestions for Cobra Brakes?

Any Suggestions for Cobra Brakes?

I'm not a big fan of my current set-up as I have very little confidence in them...especially when cold. Pads/rotors are of unknown brand. They make a TON of noise and don't bite when cold. They also spark like the 4th of July when you really stand on em. Cool effect, but I feel my current setup is more suited for full race application.

I want something that is more street-able but can also hold up to the odd track day. I heard the EBC red-stuff pads are great. Hear hawks are good too. What about rotors?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rich
    Rich

Rick had good experience with carbotech pads. Check out his thread in the part review section Rich.
    ~Scott B

ZR had real good success with a line of pads from Carbotech. Their website has lots of info, and if you send them a question via email, they'll get back to you right away.

Treed by Scott.

thanks gents!! will check em out
    Rich

OE rotors or similar are fine, I have hawks and EBC yellows in my car right now...very dusty and noisy but stop great...maybe a less aggressive Hawk might be quieter, not sure

I've also had red's in the rear...they are fine for street use

the carbotechs are nice if you don't mine going through the windshield when you stop LOL, serious though...maybe too aggressive for what your looking for...but man do they ever bit hard for sure

I ran EBC rotors with Hawk HPS pads with great success!! Hooked real good too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-C View Post
    I want something that is more street-able but can also hold up to the odd track day. I heard the EBC red-stuff pads are great.
    So far so good with the reds, but I didn't break them in for nearly long enough, LOL pretty much strait to the track. They have a break-in compound on them, and until I wore through that, they were pretty hairy on the track.

I think I might try the Hawks or the Carbotechs next time.
    -Don____________

tulowd
    I've run various EBC pads since 1982 in at least 6 of my cars.
    The 'vert is on its second set of EBC reds on 13"/11.65" Cobra brakes; I prefer using them with slotted and drilled rotors on the street. Great dollar value and still decent at the road course. Cheap rotors suck - its worth spending the dough on good quality ones from Brembo, EBC or SSBC in my opinion. They utilize better base materials and more accurate machining/QC.

The break in material wears off pretty quick on the street - the idea is to transfer some of the friction material from the pads into the rotor faces - that is what makes them bite. This is why when swapping out only pads the pedal can feel dead initially, since the new pads have to eat thru the existing deposits and put down their own; assuming they can. Much better idea to have seasoned rotors for use with the same pad compounds; or go brand new pads n discs at the same time.

99chromegt
    I have the Hawk HPS pads all around with the cobra brake upgrade on the 99GT. Seems to be a good combo on the track and the street but they're not stopping as much HP as your setup.

MEANMCHN
    Baer Track 4 brakes, fairly "inexpensive" and an amazing upgrade.