Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hogging out old NPI heads

Hogging out old NPI heads

So I have a few sets of NPI heads kicking around the garage and i got to thinking.......

Would it be worth my time to take a decent set of the heads and port them out in my spare time this winter? Once done could i swap all the valves and springs from my working heads over to these ones without many issues?

I am looking at something cost effective here for the time being. I mean i could go out and get a set of PI heads and slap those on and probably be ahead of the game.....but i have these extras laying around and it would give me something to do over this winter....plus if i screw it up i am not out any money.....

Thoughts?
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

Lot more to making heads make horsepower then just hogging out the ports with a dremel. If you want to practice go ahead, but be cautious. Remember its not just the time you spend porting, putting them on the car is a job in and of itself, new gaskets, bolts, fluids etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Oh I am alright with the re and re, just never thought of doing my own porting.

I already have the PI intake and aftermarket cams. Just looking to get this thing to make a little more power up top and not fall on it's face at 5500rpm

I believe Summit Racing sells a home porting starter kit. I'd probably pick that up and do a lot of research, if you got the time, the materials and the effort you have everything you need but the knowledge to be gained.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

This is true, like I said, 2 spare pairs of heads....can't hurt much if it turns out alright.

wouldn't ported NPI heads not be equivalent to PI heads?

so I guess the question comes down to time and money versus just getting the PI heads.
    -Don____________

This true, but the way I am looking at it is.....practice my porting ability on heads already in my possession, swap them in...make a difference, bonus. Buy PI heads and port them then strap them on....double bonus.