Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fox Body Weight Reduction / Diet

tulowd

Fox Body Weight Reduction / Diet

Been looking at other forums and builds to see where weight can realistically be saved without purchasing titanium drilled bolts and carbon fiber parts, lol

Besides the obvious, the OEM '79 ce Car aluminum rear crash bar is interesting, as are these fiberglass parts - especially the dash:
    http://www.artfiberglass.com/auto/fo...86mustang.html

Please chime in with your experience and knowledge, thx

somewhere nobody looks is inside the rocker panels for mud...you wouldnt believe it

must have taken out 5-10 lbs of crap in my car...rear seat delete of course...thats when I found it

helpful hints here..http://www.theturboforums.com/thread...on-on-fox-body

Ive seen your build...btw & a heavy convertible wouldnt have been my first choice

also...you would not believe the difference in weight between wheels...eg...Welds are feathers

as opposed to other wheels...so theres a huge weight savings there,,,& of course unsprung weight

but you knew that

how much does your car weigh now?
    Last edited by Tailites; 08-15-2014 at 09:17 AM.

tulowd
    convertible = best cruising and street car - waaaay better than anything else I've driven or owned , so that was the platform of choice.

Currently car weighs 3630, with iron heads, full of fuel, with my ass in the drivers seat. The measurements below were taken with 110 lbs of ballast in the trunk, full tank and me in it. Note the almost perfect cross corner weights and the pretty decent F/R weight bias. Extending wheelbase by 1.5" will improve that, thinking about doing 1" engine setback as well. Victor Jr heads will shave almost 50 lbs, front MM kmember and A arms app another 35#. If I do fiberglass fenders that's another 15-20 lbs off.

Current wheels weigh 25 lbs front 9" and 26 lbs for the rear 10.5". The lightest wheels available are Enkei RPF01's which come in at 16 and 17 lbs respectively; so there is maybe 40 lbs still to lose there; but they are not as strong when apexing over the red n white curbs, they like to bend according to some pals who road race heavily.

If I can get the car drivable, with monster sound system, half a tank of fuel and me (170) below 3500 lbs, I will be ecstatic.

My guess is the car has at least 20 lbs of bondo, chicken feathers and other assorted horseshit in the less than DaVinci quality paint, lol

Pulling out my rear seats today just to see what kind of rear seat delete I can mock up. Interested to see whats under there. A small fortune would be nice.. a pot of gold maybe.
    '88 LX

HyperGT
    alum heads, mm k member, light wheels (rotating weight x 3 as a rule of thumb = sprung wieght), lightweight seats, no stereo, tires (not all created equal), alum rear control arms, take all power accessories out and replace with manual. Can get radical and remove havac system. If exhaust is SS go to alum.

Also.. whats that cruise control box thingy worth in weight?
    '88 LX

You could remove all the convertible motors etc if you just put the top up and down manually?
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

tulowd
    thought of removing all the side glass and entire roof and accessories.....lol then I woke up. I want it to remain somewhat streetable for the time being.

MEANMCHN
    Ditch all of the stereo equipment, I took about 30 lbs out of my car doing that, it was crap any way.