Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fox Body Weight Reduction / Diet

you have a ton of suspension parts under it too...I would have configured it completely different...

not dissin you at all...I just do stuff my way...Im shooting for under 3000 lbs...

right now my car has few creature comforts...but I wanted a race like car that is street driven

theres so much to this topic...brakes for example...if you could take 500 lbs out of the car

now tell me Fox brakes are inadequate...just simple physics...theyre still junk btw...

but the car stops better & accelerates better...Ive probably taken 160 lbs out so far..maybe more

even the steering wheel with the air bag weighs a ton

the fan & clutch on the motor weighs a ton

the seats are heavy...lots of comfy lighter ones

I could have used the 3G alt...but the stock one did the job...its a lot lighter & the motor likely turns it easier too

I ditched the AC too...all the under padding is gone from everywhere...it has no roll cage...(Im on the street)

steel brackets for the accessories are drilled out aluminum extrusions instead of heavy steel pieces...etc
    Last edited by Tailites; 08-15-2014 at 04:15 PM.

tulowd
    car is going to have a 2500 Watt Rockford sound system with at least one 15" woofer, shooting for a pair, lol

already ditched EFI, A/C, power steering, heater, OEM steering wheel and seats; no spare tire or jack; dropped dog bone on rear end, have alum driveshaft.
    Cobra Brakes all around, coilover fronts; MM/GW rear suspension
    Glass hood, alum rad

one other thing...the car will do everything better when its lighter

the Brits knew this many years ago...Lotus for example

look at the new muscle cars...over FAT turds...with big motors...junk!

light nimble & tons of power...Carol Shelby got it right many years ago

heres more stuff,,,steel panel under steering wheel

steel panel in roof of hatch...gone in my car

yes my car has an aluminum DS & no dog bone...it has 355s

even the exhaust can be lightened substantially

do you REALLY need 3 in when 2 & 1/2 will do?...mufflers all weigh differently too

Quote Originally Posted by hsousa88 View Post
    Pulling out my rear seats today just to see what kind of rear seat delete I can mock up.
    just cut some carpet to fit...I think it took out about 56 lbs

take out the tubing bolted to the floor & the seat belts

& remove the sound deadening behind the plastic

HyperGT
    That said, if it is a true street car who cares about some extra 100lb or so. Enjoy the ride, its fast enough. If you wanted a full out race car, like others said, it would not be a fox vert. - this from a fox vert guy!

tulowd
    Yup - building my version of the ultimate street/track car. Has to be enjoyable the 98% of the time it's on the street or in a parking lot; but still have the ability to be pounded upon on the road course or the 1/4

Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    Yup - building my version of the ultimate street/track car. Has to be enjoyable the 98% of the time it's on the street
    my enjoyment comes from the fact that my car has no comfort

eibachs tokicos...slammed...no radio...no AC...does have power window & mirrors (Id rather listen to the engine & gear whine anyway)

its actually pretty quiet tho

or maybe the car has damaged my hearing

Fiberglass doors, fenders, front/rear bumper rebar will all make a huge difference. Obviously make the sub and amp a quick-remove item for track days. As well I agree that wheels are a huge factor in reducing weight, the Enkeis are very light and should be strong enough for what you need, plus they looks great and aren't common at all on foxes.
    The glass dash would help but the dash isn't heavy enough to justify the cost/install time to make it work. Fiberglass stuff is nice, but I'm sure you know it likely fits poor and is not very easy to work with, not to mention it will do nothing for you in a crash.
    Last edited by Ponyryd; 08-16-2014 at 12:03 AM.

it would be interesting to find out how much the glass weighs

eg the sunroof is pretty heavy