Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MM Coilovers - Hard to install?

MM Coilovers - Hard to install?

Hey guys, looking at getting MM coilovers for the Fox to use with my Tokico illumina's. Probably a 10" 250-275lb springs.
    Question, is there much involved with the install? I'm pretty handy and do most of my own work but never tackled coilovers on a Mustang.
    Do you think my Steeda 3 bolt CC plates would work ok, or should I go with the MM 4 bolt? I have the MM 4 bolt on my 96 and they are nice pieces but if I don't need to buy new ones then why bother right?

Easy mod.

I like the MM camber plates because they are reversible to get more camber. Not sure about the steeda ones.

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...ont-Suspension
    -Don____________

If your Steeda plates are the billet aluminum ones, you should be OK with coilovers. Check their site.

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DXTRM View Post
    If your Steeda plates are the billet aluminum ones, you should be OK with coilovers. Check their site.
    I have heard the opposite from several sources- aluminum can fatigue with age and could eventually break. I wouldn't risk it - I bent a set of the original McCaster steel plates without coilovers. Would hate to think the damage it would do to your strut, hood and of course whatever you end up running into.

Pretty easy install if you've pulled the struts out before. Take your time and don't forget to set the ride height with someone sitting in the drivers seat. Coilovers allow for very precise preload adjustments, which is one of the benefits besides the smoother suspension motion (no bind).

For a coil over set up, my suggestion would be MM plates only. If you follow the instructions, install is straight forward. Spring choice comes down to your priority between ride and handling or best combo of the two.
    Worth while to contact MM to get their take on max spring rate with your shocks / struts.

saleenman
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    For a coil over set up, my suggestion would be MM plates only. If you follow the instructions, install is straight forward. Spring choice comes down to your priority between ride and handling or best combo of the two.
    Worth while to contact MM to get their take on max spring rate with your shocks / struts.
    X2. But they are very easy to install. Watch out for the length of spring also. Too long of spring could interfere with the tire. May rub.

Thanks guys! Looks like i'll do the MM CC plates as well.

MEANMCHN
    The Tokico Illumina's shock body isn't built to support a spring as it's riveted together, be careful.

Oh.....hmmmm ill have to check with MM as they advertise their kit to fit on the Tokico's.

MEANMCHN
    If you're using these shocks I'd be careful. The coilover conversion kit relies on the shock body and mount to support the spring, something it wasn't designed to do. These Tokico's in particular have only 2 points where they are either spot welded or riveted together, it's a ton of pressure to put on that area that's not built for it.

Attachment 1653

If you're going to do the fronts have a look at the coil-overs from KW, they're not a conversion so they're engineered for it.