Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1992 5.0 Speedometer PROBLEM!!!!

1992 5.0 Speedometer PROBLEM!!!!

I have a 1992 5.0 5 speed LX Coupe this past 2 weeks I replaced the Heater Core so I had the dash all out and I also replaced the gauge faces in the factory cluster. Now before for I had it all apart my speedometer needle was a little jumpy at slow speeds, but now its seem to be even worse. I see on Latemodel Restoration there seems to be two likely causes my Voltage Regulator for the Instrument Cluster, or the speedometer cable. The regulator they say can cause jumpy needles but only my speedometer is acting up, on the other hand they say if the speedometer cable is gone or not properly lubricated it can cause the needle to jump also. Here's my thinking now it's likely the speedometer cable but they have 2 one for a car with a speed sensor and one for a car with out one, how do I know witch one I need?

Ya, bad cable....you can try pulling it out and feeding some lube through it, or get a new one. Never done one in a '92 but I don't think the '92 has a speed sensor, just a gear-driven cable.

Mustang Occasionally
    Yup sounds like the cable. I've replaced two. FYI - cruise control and non-cruise are different part numbers.

Slope
    Your car should have a VSS, so you require the speed sensor-style cable.

You can try removing and lubing the cable, but if it's already on it's way out...

The voltage regulator in the later Fox clusters has nothing to do with the speedo FYI.

Slope
    Quote Originally Posted by Armen View Post
    cruise control and non-cruise are different part numbers.
    Non-factory cruise equipped Fuelie Foxes still have a VSS.

Ok then my car has or should I say had factory Cruise Control I took out the cable it wasn't hooked up anyway, so I should order the cable for a speed sensor should I order the speed sensor to or dose it matter now that I've taken out the cruise... The plastic gear on the end is the wrong one right now but I have the right one haven't got that far yet.

Mustang Occasionally
    Quote Originally Posted by Slope View Post
    Your car should have a VSS, so you require the speed sensor-style cable.

You can try removing and lubing the cable, but if it's already on it's way out...

The voltage regulator in the later Fox clusters has nothing to do with the speedo FYI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slope View Post
    Non-factory cruise equipped Fuelie Foxes still have a VSS.
    Oh so you're saying a fuel injected Fox has the speed sensor regardless if it has factory cruise or not..?

My 89 LX with power nothing and no cruise has a vss.
    I lubed the cable last winter and it made little to no difference in the needle bounce.

So Slope, is the VSS the two-wire sensor that mounts the cable? Likely just sending an on/off signal to the ECM?

The speed sensor looks like this.

[IMG][/IMG]

And here is the speed sensor plug.

[IMG][/IMG]