Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New truck oil changes

New truck oil changes

How often?
    2017 F150. 5.0.
    We did the break in change at 5k km. and the dealer put on the sticker to come back at like 7000 more kms. We are now at that but the computer in the truck says only 50% oil life used. And the manual says something like 10 or 12k between changes.

Recommended is 6months or 8,000km. the oil life reading from the computer will go off anywhere from 10,000 to 16,000km we tell aour customers to go by sticker tech puts on windshield. 6months or 8,000km whichever comes first.
    2008 Bullitt HR Cams Kooks UDP JLT CAI 91 Tune 332hp 331tq

Thanks.

I tend to always keep mind into higher km's n stick with 3 months / 5000km regardless. Oil n filter's are cheap, engines and or repairs are expensive.

I hate to disagree with Rick, because he sees it first hand, but IMO, to keep the same oil change frequency as 50 years ago, when manufacturing processes, engine design, engine oil capacity, and lubricant technology has improved exponentially, is absolutely insane. I use the oil life monitors on my cars, with some exceptions for track use. Usually that lands me around 12,000-15,000km between changes.

Quote Originally Posted by G-ForceJunkie View Post
    I hate to disagree with Rick, because he sees it first hand, but IMO, to keep the same oil change frequency as 50 years ago, when manufacturing processes, engine design, engine oil capacity, and lubricant technology has improved exponentially, is absolutely insane. I use the oil life monitors on my cars, with some exceptions for track use. Usually that lands me around 12,000-15,000km between changes.
    Some vehicles would have no oil left to change if they went 12-15k.

Engines that are said to have weak timing chains, phazers that constantly fail etc or smoke like hell at start up or just plain consume tons of oil seldom if ever see the same problems when their owners disregard suggested oil grades and service intervals. For the second time in about 8 weeks, know of someone with a failed ecoboost timing chain at under 140km. While one follows mfg intervals and oil grade, second one was changed every 5k but did run suggested oil. In the same breath, buddy in the US uses his to work n pulls a trailer several times a week. At 120,000 miles, run on 10w30 syn and changed every 3000 miles, seeing none of whats become a pretty common issues. A fluke, perhaps, but we've seen similar results in guys with 4.6s and 5.4s go huge miles without the all so common phazer and or chain failure issues. Even have a number of guys in the club seeing little or no oil in catch cans after dumping the OEM suggested oil grade and service intervals where as they previously needed to empty it one or more times between changes. Some are running Coyotes, got a couple of Shelby guys doing the same. All have noticed a dramatic improvement in the above. Oil grades and interval discussion always brings a chuckle when I'm out at the machine shop. Judging by how busy they always are, few have taken their advice to heart.
    Just for shiats n giggles, had that '02 Chev TrailBlazer in I've talked about a bunch of times in for service on Monday, 600,000kms on an engine most think is a POS, it's not had a single major engine repair. Yes oil n filter ever 5k n run on 10w30 full syn since first oil change. Each and every day, full to the gate with tools every mile it goes.
    Oil n filters are cheap, engines are expensive.
    Night to all.

^Well said sir, mine get done at 5k in my 335k Honda, my wife's 16 Cherokee gets them at 7k even though 10-16 is rec'd by fca.

To the op, it really depends on the engine and how long you plan to keep it.

Good point, if the plan is to keep under warranty then trade, do only enough to satisfy their requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Good point, if the plan is to keep under warranty then trade, do only enough to satisfy their requirements.
    Your new truck has me wanting to trade...
    '88 LX