Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: car ran fine made a stop now I got nothing

Agree if there is NO power to anything its likely a connection issue, either at the battery, or the main ground on the block. Before towing it, go out with some booster cables, use only the negative jumper cable, put one end of the negative cable on the negative battery post, and the other end of the cable on the engine block, alternator case, etc.....a GOOD ground on the block. I'd do this with the lights on, then if they come on you'll know you're in the right area.
    All you're doing here is making your own ground from the battery to the engine, so one cable should suffice. If this solves the problem, follow the negative cable from the battery and see where it connects to the block, IIRC its on the drivers side at the front.

^ Solid advice.

Have previously had this exact type of issue, was the ground on the block. Great advice by Ponyryd

Monera3v
    Hey just for kickers,

check if the charge cable from to the alternator has touched the alternator's casing and cause a short!

I've had that happen before on my 96

7up-5.0
    just want to thank all you guy's got a number for a stang guru going to give him a call and see what he can figure out have to wait till next week leaving for a holiday this weekend. was hope to take the car but not in the cards. will keep you guys posted when we get it figured out. thanks for the ideas and help.

7up-5.0
    ok guys im at my wit's end with this thing, i tryed use my cables to bypass the ground got nothing no lights, i put a new ignition switch for the key still nothing, now i tryed changing the solenoid. what i got was power the head lights came on had power back inside the car but i tryed to start the car i heard a pop from under the hood then everything went dead again i have checked every fuse and wire they look ok. any ideas or if somebody knows somebody that could help me out i would really appeciate that. need to get it running so i can put her away for the winter. any help you guy got would be great ty in advance. kevin

Still sounds like a connection problem.
    The battery runs to the input side of the solenoid and all the power to the car runs from that side.
    only thing connected to the output side of the solenoid is the starter.

You still stuck?

7up-5.0
    Yeah still can't get it sorted out not sure what to try next any other ideas im open to more ideas.

It still sounds like connections to me, that's the only thing that will kill everything, if it was a switch, soleniod, etc...it would kill a few things, but other stuff would still work.
    Did you use the cables with the headlights on? Its gotta be either a main power or main ground. Do you smell anything under the hood? A cooked wire will give a bad smell, like burning rubber and hair.