Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Help Needed: Push Rod Power & Drag Suspension Setups

TurboFox
    My turbo car is 9.9:1

Run more compression. Cant you get e85 in guelph top?

Slope
    Quote Originally Posted by 99chromegt View Post
    So let's talk stroke & compression ratio. I think realistically the 351W will end up turning into a 408 and not a 427. N/A setup with the option of nitrous later on. Race fuel is an option. 10 or 11 range? 4.0 ish stroke?
    408/410W
    11:1 (will run on 91/94 octane) *You also NEARLY rule out boost at this point.
    Nitrous LOVES compression

My old fox build was a 408W.
    10.2:1 compression, Flowtech Induction custom cam, old style AFR 205s, Super Victor intake with a Holley 1000cfm carb and 2" Hooker super comp headers. Ran into the 10.30's @131 at 3200lbs and 4.10 gears. Tightened up the converter in the C4 and ran 9.70's on a 100 shot. 9.50's @140 on a 150 with a very safe pump gas tune. Swapped in a powerglide for reliability and the car ran a best of 9.44 @143 on pump gas on a drag radial.

Very effective combo, broke the late model block after 7 years and too many spray passes to count. RPM killed it in the end, slipping converter got the revs high and MPH didn't pick up. Tightened the converter, added a taller 29" tire and up to 4.30 gears ready to shoot for the 9.20's or better. Ran into the 9.80's on a 50 shot with the revisions but cracked the block(finished it off anyways) on the street before I was able to hit it hard with the spray (200hp+). Oh well, ran hard for a low compression pump gas motor.

99chromegt
    ^^^ nice!! That's what I'm aiming for. Thanks for the info. As much as I want to use the 04 Mach chassis, using a good fox roller for the build would be pretty cool.... Stay tuned

Not much difference if you can keep the weight down. Suspension-wise getting it to hook up will be about the same. My target weight was 3000lbs race-ready but being still on the street it never fully got gutted and a 12pt cage didn't help keep weight down and neither did a 275lb driver. Best I could do was 3180lbs ready to race, no flyweight but not a 2 ton tank either.

Plan out the motor build with someone who knows what it takes to make your power goals, don't toss random parts on it and hope they work out. A solid plan of attack will make you happy and only spending once.

if you only want tens...just do a little build on the 302...theyre cheap & disposable if you break

stock bottom end...(fly cut the pistons if you add a lumpy in there)...power adder of choice...done

you would be hard pressed to get it done any cheaper...also...DO NOT spend a ton on go fast internals

with the stock block...theyre paper thin & will crack if you get it wrong...get it right & the little motor

is an absolute blast...more fun than eatin yer young!!!!

or you could do what Tim above sez...build on the 351 (more strength)...but its going to cost

99chromegt
    lots of choices & combos. That's what I find interesting. Already have the 351W and don't mind paying for good internals & machining. This is a budget build but I don't really have one lol. When you look at each main component the price per part seem to range from $1000-$2000ish. It doesn't take long to add up so like TC86GT said have a plan and only spend once.

you can make some very serious jam with the 351...you have the motor thats a plus

Tim the guy above ran 9s on an old beat 351 truck motor...when his big money motor blew up

so he yanked a junk motor outta a truck & went just as fast...cast pistons too

he didnt tell you that story...Im just fillin in the blanks

LOL! Glen, the motor was yanked from a '72 Torino, cut-off wheel clearanced pistons and bolted my top end on. Pure junkyard and it ran pretty well. Didn't hit the 9's but got close, we figured it had less than 8:1 compression....ugly but served it's purpose when the 408 cracked.

Backyard style!

New build is a DIY turbo on my '86. It should have the jam to run into the 10's and when the block goes boom...I'll figure something out then...likely another stock bottom end.