Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Needed: Push Rod Power & Drag Suspension Setups

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Buy a FOX.
    I know a guy that has a few & maybe some race parts ....
    ^ now we're serious

How about that 351 with a big Turbo and EFi?

That should continue the "old and new" vibe very nicely.

99chromegt
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    How about that 351 with a big Turbo and EFi?

That should continue the "old and new" vibe very nicely.
    That would be cool adding a turbo but I was thinking to keep it simple. I guess anything could be considered simple depending on the skill level of the"help" a case of beer will buy. Lol

Andrew, even though I can't remember the full specs on my 20+ year old motor....

I built a 351w based flat tappet 408 stroker. Had big heads...for the time, eddy intake, 1050 carb, long tubes 1 7/8 primary's with 3" collectors. Motor I think was upwards of 11.5:1 compression. We used to run Av gas in it and the car ran low 12's on a crappy slick. On a 150 shot (yes I love nitrous) it ran a best of 11.4's. Now you take today's advancements, roller motor, better heads...etc....you can have a bad ass motor
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

TurboFox
    So...i know you said no LS but just consider the following.

At the end of the day it comes down to "dollars per smile"

With a junkyard 6.0 cam only you will be able to make >420rwhp without even removing the heads. I paid $500 for my last 6.0. Bolt up a th350/converter for another grand and you have a good combo.

Building a car is one thing, but then maintaining it is another. A good set of SBF heads will cost more than the entire LS combo and then what happens when you break something?

If you want to start working on i say start with the chassis and take some time to think long and hard about a drivetrain and budget. Its a lot of fun to go fast and not spend a ton of money. As shit gets expensive it takes away from the enjoyment IMO.

This is coming from a guy that has torched a fair share of built SBFs

Quote Originally Posted by 99chromegt View Post
    Both power plants are good options. Are 460s a lot heavier than 351W?
    Crash... I'll tag along with Frankie sometime soon and we will talk.
    dont put the boat anchor 460 in there...351 stroker...forced...you will go faster than your target goal

look how quick Crash is N/A

I agree with the 408. My motor setup is cheap. Non forged 4.6 4V, stock Cobra eaton @ 9 PSI, TB and a cold air. Motor is 100% stock. Car runs 11.50's on 17" drag radials in the summer heat. Should run low 11's on slicks. Mod motors probably are not the best choice as there expensive to build but it would save you changing to a pushrod K-member

WHRDUGO
    For a budget and bang for the buck. A 351 will still be pricey by the time you get it dailed down to the speed you want. I have friends running high 8s low 9s and low 10s with that based motor and the foundation starts without the standard block. 5 figure engines easily on a simple carb set up.

Mod motors are the hardest on the budget. I probably have 8 grand tied into just the blower and supporting mods. But haven't been to the track since the swap.

Now a thousand dollar ls motor and a couple grand in a turbo set up and a few more grand in a cpu set up will see you skip 11 and 10s all together. Let alone the low price of a built up to 400 will have you smiling for years to come.

URDAPREY
    An Aussie racing company has 302 & 351 9.5 deck man-o-war copys. Seen them forsale in buffallo for $ 1350.00
    Made in China tho. Didn't find any bad reviews on them, Aussies know how to run the 1320 with the fords.
    Ford racing has a 460 ci small block crate that looks mint.

99chromegt
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-e...ationFlag=true
    Gear drive ( noisy ) ?? 10.000km 700+ hp with blower. Price seems high. I know building from scratch tends to work out to more $$ but so can buying something used.