Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Battery Relocation

^^^ I,m still learning bro so no enlightenment. I started in the auto trade at 14teen and have seen a lot of shit in the past 30 years.
    I,ll do the M.A.D way of putting a battery in the trunk. And then we can debate..

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by onDjuice View Post
    ^^^ I,m still learning bro so no enlightenment. I started in the auto trade at 14teen and have seen a lot of shit in the past 30 years.
    I,ll do the M.A.D way of putting a battery in the trunk. And then we can debate..
    That's what makes sharing info on here so cool, is the variety and collective experiences. Began installing car audio professionally when I was 14; developing/tweak new car audio products for Pioneer Electronics at 26. Not a wrench, but been around it and track/hobby all my life.

^^^ I hear you bro. I away's say you never stop learning. My son would love to talk car audio with you he just loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Securely mount the battery in the trunk / vent if it's not a gel style
    Run #1 or #2 fine wound cable from battery neg to floor of the trunk for ground
    Make a cable outta the same stuff to connect the engine to the chassis for ground
    Run #1 or #2 find wound cable to the terminal the positive battery cable had previously been connected to (at the solenoid). Key is to route and secure cable where it's not prone to rubbing, chaffing or being burnt by the exhaust or making contact over a speed bump or similar.
    Done.
    Thanks Rick. Sounds like most generic relocation kits would work just fine then.

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick_89_Hatch View Post
    Thanks Rick. Sounds like most generic relocation kits would work just fine then.
    Most of those kits have no fusing and also have less than correct mounting hardware. Sheet metal screws or 1/4 bolts thru sheetmetal will not hold a battery in place if you run into something.

X G/F of mine was burnt by battery acid when she crashed her Vega with the battery still in the stock location. In a hatchback, if the battery comes loose it becomes a missile that will kill you directly or with its contents. Overkill is the best bet here.

or maybe you guys could debate the inner workings of transmissions...

pretty sure I know who would win that debate...

this is absolutely the best way imo...

although mine is not wired this way...http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...on-and-wiring/

If properly mounted, even the plastic box with nylon strap will see it well secured. Yes key is to use adequate size bolts n washers etc or even pair of 3/8 studs with a steel bar over the batt itself.

Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    Most of those kits have no fusing and also have less than correct mounting hardware. Sheet metal screws or 1/4 bolts thru sheetmetal will not hold a battery in place if you run into something.

X G/F of mine was burnt by battery acid when she crashed her Vega with the battery still in the stock location. In a hatchback, if the battery comes loose it becomes a missile that will kill you directly or with its contents. Overkill is the best bet here.
    Good points Paul, but I would definitely upgrade mounting hardware if what came with the kit was insufficient.

MrTinkertrain
    a cool mod that's easy and full of benefits