Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Tires for Mustang

The snows are def a different feeling , we put our 17" snows fairly new Hercules they're mehh but when shiat hits the fan they'll be better than than not having them .

That's the difference between regular winter tires, which that version of the Blizzaks are, and performance winter tires. Take a look at the various offerings on Tire Rack or a similar site for winter tires in your size, and you will see what's available. To me, it appears that the only performance winter tire intended for car applications in that size are the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D, and the updated version 4D.

Performance winter tires typically will not offer quite the same pure ice and snow traction as a regular winter tire, but the construction of the tire is such that it behaves more like an all-season performance tire on the dry and wet pavement days, so that you don't lose the handling performance of the vehicle. From what you are describing of your impressions about driving the vehicle now, performance winters are likely what would make you satisfied. I always ran performance winters on my T-Bird Super Coupe when it was still a daily driver, and the car was still very fun to drive through the winter months.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

flexsilver
    Been awhile since we talked - I've been using the Goodyear Ultra Grip GW3s ( on my second set for my '05 GT ) and they perform well. It's almost hard to tell I have snows on as there isn't any sloppiness, etc. They are amazing in wet/rainy conditions are were ok last year in the snow. Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by flexsilver View Post
    Been awhile since we talked - I've been using the Goodyear Ultra Grip GW3s ( on my second set for my '05 GT ) and they perform well. It's almost hard to tell I have snows on as there isn't any sloppiness, etc. They are amazing in wet/rainy conditions are were ok last year in the snow. Kevin
    I'll try and remember these for the next time I have to buy winters. Cheers.

I'm using DM-V1 Blizzaks and I think they are great (this will be their 3rd Winter). They only come with an R rating (170kph), but that's enough for the Flex.
    I need good grip as the Flex is rated at 365hp and 350lb ft of torque. It's my Winter car.
    I did go down 2 inches in rim size and up in aspect ratio for a more narrow tire, but they work great in the rain, ice and snow. On dry roads they do squish a bit and are a bit noisy but you can stiffen them up by increasing the air pressure.
    But they definitely don't drive like Summer tires.
    In the past I've also used the Nokian Hakkapeliitta, and they were fantastic, but they are a little on the expensive side now.
    YMMV