Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SVT cobra brakes/rim fitment question

SVT cobra brakes/rim fitment question

How much space would be required between the top of the caliper and the inside of the wheel? are there certain 17's that shouldnt be used? I am assuming that with the way these PBR calipers are designed that even with new pads and pins, there may be a slight bit of movement of the caliper when the brakes are engaged? maybe im wrong but you'd think with manufacturing, that these parts arent 100% perfect. i can slide a piece of white computer paper through the wheel but it slightly drags on the caliper. its SOOOOOO crazy close...thoughts???

To my understanding, pretty much any 17" rim should clear Cobra brakes. What rims are you running?

ROH ZS ....im doing a brake job on it but as it stands when you press the brake pedal you can hear the caliper hit the wheel, and you can see on the inside of it where it has touched. I just dont see a good set of pad making the difference for it not hitting unless quality stuff really tightens stuff up. I read on the Corral that you have to shave the fins off the caliper to allow clearance. I mean sure you can make it clear but it doesnt even look like a credit card would fit in there.

No problem fitting 17" Cobra R's over the PBR Cobra brakes, there's a good 1/4" or more clear.

You didn't have any problems before the new pads were installed?
    -Don____________

the inside of the ROH there has a raised portion inside, however i removed the wheels and it had touch previously but it wasnt as bad as i thought.
    I also switched over to my 18" rims and went for a drive and it still clunks hard so its not the wheels

I am replacing rotors and pads tomorrow so i started to look over all the new parts and i noticed that not all 4 front pads are the same. At a quick glance there are but 2 have wear tab/ Squealers and 2 did not. I also noticed that 2 pads have different shaped end where they sit down inside the caliper bracket. It would appear to me that the front cobra brakes have specific inboard and outboard pads, that need to be installed in the correct spot and it appears to me that the current setup has 2 inboard pads on one side and 2 outboard pads on the other.

Which leaves me to my next question. Which pads are inboard and which are outboard and the calipers mount so that the retaining pins are closer to the ground as instructed by Dr. ZR

power-stop-z23-evolution-sport-ceramic-brake-pads-front-pair-94-04-bullitt-mach-1-cobra-3.jpg

See how the top 2 pads have different ends then the other 2 where it fit into the bracket.

Pads with the dual round spring clips / retainers go on the outside, clip into the caliper.
    Does rattle disappear if you keep your foot on the brake just a tic or three?
    See a large number missing those spring clips I'd told you about.

You can see em in this pic.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Pads with the dual round spring clips / retainers go on the outside, clip into the caliper.
    Does rattle disappear if you keep your foot on the brake just a tic or three?
    See a large number missing those spring clips I'd told you about.
    yes it goes away if you keep the brake pressed with moderate pressure on the brake...the rotors are warped which isnt making it feel any better but the clunk is just nasty.

they currently have the clips on them but not with rubber built into them