Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SVT cobra brakes/rim fitment question

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Pads with the dual round spring clips / retainers go on the outside, clip into the caliper.
    I know that but see in the picture how the end that sit inside the bracket, 2 are different then the other 2.

The caliper brackets are not different shaped from the inside to the outside so i dont see why these pads are that way.

OEM with rubber is preferred but non work ok as well.
    Key is if they have enough tension to keep the pads / caliper in place.

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by 95GT_VERT View Post
    How much space would be required between the top of the caliper and the inside of the wheel? are there certain 17's that shouldnt be used? I am assuming that with the way these PBR calipers are designed that even with new pads and pins, there may be a slight bit of movement of the caliper when the brakes are engaged? maybe im wrong but you'd think with manufacturing, that these parts arent 100% perfect. i can slide a piece of white computer paper through the wheel but it slightly drags on the caliper. its SOOOOOO crazy close...thoughts???
    you need some clearance space for sure, and not all 17" wheels are going to fit over 13" brakes. The rash of the latest cheap, fat as phuck cast wheels are going to be all over the map in terms of thickness and where they sit. Anything less than a 1/4" of clearance isn't ideal, that's for sure. The caliper does slide and has some radial play, Im sure there is also some expansion/contraction from the heat etc.

Are you sure the calipers are installed correctly ( bleeder screw on top, pad retaining pin in correct location - bottom)?

Sounds almost like the retaining bolts are loose or the pads are walking in the caliper mounting frame).
    Pads should also have small chamfer on leading edges, to ensure they contact the disc surface flat and true. If the problem is that bad, can you spin the wheel freely and hear the noise when the nose is in the air?

Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    you need some clearance space for sure, and not all 17" wheels are going to fit over 13" brakes. The rash of the latest cheap, fat as phuck cast wheels are going to be all over the map in terms of thickness and where they sit. Anything less than a 1/4" of clearance isn't ideal, that's for sure. The caliper does slide and has some radial play, Im sure there is also some expansion/contraction from the heat etc.

Are you sure the calipers are installed correctly ( bleeder screw on top, pad retaining pin in correct location - bottom)?

Sounds almost like the retaining bolts are loose or the pads are walking in the caliper mounting frame).
    Pads should also have small chamfer on leading edges, to ensure they contact the disc surface flat and true. If the problem is that bad, can you spin the wheel freely and hear the noise when the nose is in the air?
    Calipers are installed INCORRECT, currently working on fixing it.

New pads and rotors and switched the caliper brackets around and she's all good to go now

So pins were at the top?
    Now that could have ended badly.

Yes, the pad retaining pin was on the top side.

Where can we find the hardware kits for these brakes? i'd like the replace the pins and E clips?

Unless the pins are bent damaged, replace the clips and your golden (if they fit snug, good to go on them as well).
    Suspect you'll need to try Ford, not sure.

Try American Muscle.

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by 95GT_VERT View Post
    New pads and rotors and switched the caliper brackets around and she's all good to go now
    I'll be looking for my thank you note and Christmas present when I get home.