Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Found on road dead :( help please

Found on road dead :( help please

Scenario : driving along everything working fine , clutch working , transmission shifting fine, go about 20km and things change . I leave the lights and it feels notchy shifting through the gears. A few km later I shift from 1-2 and it doesn't go in, double clutch and it goes . Get to another red and it's in neutral , it won't go into first . Shut the car off , put it into first , start the car and it rolls forward and finally starts and I pull into nearest parking lot.

We tower the car to the shop put it on the hoist , press the clutch with someone watching under the car . Clutch fork doesn't start to move until 3/4 to the floor and the. It only moves an inch or so. With your hand you can move the fork further then what the pedal will. My buddy looked at the quadrant and says its at the end of its adjustment capabilities but teeth on quadrant are good shape.

Safe to assume that the high mileage cable is stretched to the point it won't work anymore ?

Also , clutch pedal always felt tight when pushing down . Maybe another sign of a worn out cable

From your description, stretched OEM style or adjustable style that needs to be snugged up.
    Suggest replacing with either OEM Ford or Maximum Motorsports ONLY. All others are junk.

When replacing the cable, always clean engine grounds at the same time to ensure that isn't what caused the issue in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    When replacing the cable, always clean engine grounds at the same time to ensure that isn't what caused the issue in the first place.
    Forgive me if its stupid to ask but, how would engine grounds cause the cable to strech?

one Ford dealer says its not available, the other says it is, but DAMN 327.00 bucks for a cable

Aftermarket / cheepie cables, complete and utter hit or miss as to how long they last.
    Ground cable poor connection, hit starter, no good ground in the cable, clutch cable with aftermarket metal / alum quadrant takes it's place = voila cable pooched.

Gotcha ...never even thought of that.

Was more common back in the day of metal skinned clutch cables, not so much now, especially with a stock / plastic quadrant. Just thought I'd mention it though, shitty way to wreck a new cable. Anywho, check the cable down by the fork, might be a FMS or similar version that is manually adjustable. On those ones, common for installer to forget the jam nut, adjuster backs off when driving. Just as common, stretched beyond it's serviceable limit or broken.
    If your stuck, steal the one off your other car.

yeah, might just rob the one of the Vert and put the nice piece on it instead good thinking Rick