Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Accumulators - who's running one; experiences, etc

tulowd

Oil Accumulators - who's running one; experiences, etc

Been thinking about one of these or a Canton model - good explanation and video - any comments from those who have used one?

Not sure about the extra volume of oil if it drains back into the pan - that would be bad; but I guess that's what the valve is for?

Seems like a great idea for pre oiling prior to every start up as well as during drag/road course run and during cornering and hard shut downs, etc.

http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-ho...s-your-engine/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyaG...layer_embedded

I've got a Moroso Paul, for sale if you need one.

I'm not sure why you'd ever consider one unless you have known (or suspected) oil pressure drops that a proper oil pan can't control.

Some peeps use em as a pre oiler before cold starts.

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by G-ForceJunkie View Post
    I'm not sure why you'd ever consider one unless you have known (or suspected) oil pressure drops that a proper oil pan can't control.
    Have a high end Canton road race pan with the baffles, trap door, oil slinger pouch and windage tray; HV oil pump, ARP shaft and Ford Racing oil cooler setup converted to AN-12 lines. Never seen any oil pressure fluctuation, even while 6000 rpm+ and/or thru long turns....

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Some peeps use em as a pre oiler before cold starts.
    Was thinking that, as well as some insurance/peace of mind - motor is starting to have some serious money in it......

I ve heard bout this, I understood helps emensly on cold starts, lubin things up before ya actually turn the engin over,,, great idea...

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by coptzr View Post
    Why not install an oil pressure safety shut-off switch in case of drop?
    That would be too late as the rod and main bearings would already be wiped out by then, do have one that's going in, but its for shutting off the fuel pump.

B-blown
    They are also used for cars that roadrace and or autocross where in rare occasssions the pickup is uncovered ...we used one in a TQ Midget racecar and on more than one occasion it saved our motor

If you have the room, no downside to using one, pretty cool unit.

B-blown
    Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    Have a high end Canton road race pan with the baffles, trap door, oil slinger pouch and windage tray; HV oil pump, ARP shaft and Ford Racing oil cooler setup converted to AN-12 lines. Never seen any oil pressure fluctuation, even while 6000 rpm+ and/or thru long turns....

Was thinking that, as well as some insurance/peace of mind - motor is starting to have some serious money in it......
    its not the long sweepers that cause issues it would be a switchback turn or a tight *S* that would throw oil around and at high rpm the oil is not *all* in the pan ...some is still on the topend trying to get back to the pan