Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '14 F150 - Front End Noise

FIVE0FOX

'14 F150 - Front End Noise

Hopefully you guys can help me out. 2014 FX4.

Bought the truck brand new in November and right off the bat noticed there was a 'clicking' noise coming from the front right corner, only audible once the truck has been driving a few Kms to warm operation temp and between 60-120 km/h. It is definitely a rotational noise and sounds like metal on metal as if you were tapping two pieces of metal together. Frequency increases the faster you drive.

Thought maybe it was a stone in the tire but was not the cause. Took the truck in with 500kms on the clock and The service tech took it for a drive with me and couldn't really hear it but apparently replaced the front right hub overnight somehow because the truck was ready at 9:30 the next morning but when I picked it up at 10:30 it was ice cold inside as if it sat out and hadn't been inside...but I will give the benefit of the doubt.

I did not notice it for a while after and subconsciously forgot about it. But recently was driving with the radio off and fan on low and I could hear it again. One of those things that is annoying because as a car guy, we listen for that stuff lol

Taking it back on Monday but Any thoughts/ideas?

tulowd
    1) check for nail or screw head in the tire. amazing what noise that can make. Check for a rock or debris in the outer brake rotor vents or stuck between the pad and rotor face

2) my old F150 did that because of moisture in the vacuum lines which control the front drive hub splines. Partial engagement sucks, it will eat the splines. Had 4 changed in my old truck till they figured it out - all after warranty of course, lol.

3) does is do it more or less when turning?

Slope
    Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    1) check for nail or screw head in the tire. amazing what noise that can make. Check for a rock or debris in the outer brake rotor vents or stuck between the pad and rotor face

2) my old F150 did that because of moisture in the vacuum lines which control the front drive hub splines. Partial engagement sucks, it will eat the splines. Had 4 changed in my old truck till they figured it out - all after warranty of course, lol.

3) does is do it more or less when turning?
    I was gonna post a link to your ongoing Thread...

Partial engagement of the front hubs, super duper common on the previous yrs, assume '14 is the same or similar.

Does the noise go away when 4 wheel drive is fully engaged?

FIVE0FOX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    Does the noise go away when 4 wheel drive is fully engaged?
    I honestly couldn't say, I haven't run the truck in 4x4 at highway speeds on dry. When it was engaged around town I couldn't say whether I noticed it or not.

ZR - if it was partial engagement would it be very noisy? This is faint but audible. Doesn't sound like a splined shaft slipping or anything like that.

I've seen some very audible and another much less pronounced.
    Good idea trying in 4wd.

tulowd
    my 14 FX4 doesn't do it, silent in 2wd or 4wd hi. Havent tried in 4wd lo yet, but that might be worth a shot. I know they can freeze up in real cold weather and then be ok once it warms up a little.

FIVE0FOX
    Stuck the truck in 4 hi today, no difference.

Also have noticed that the noise is only really noticeable once the trans temp reaches normal operation (gauge on the dash), I don't think it's the trans since the noise is linear with road speed but I use that as a reference that the front diff is also up to operating temp. This noise has been with the truck since day one. The hard part is that the last tech never really heard the noise and I think just guessed at the problem.

Any thoughts?

FIVE0FOX
    Had the truck at the dealership today, 3 different techs drove the truck and none of the claim to hear the noise.

Figures! At this point, no clue what to do. It isn't so annoying that I can't live with it...just one of those things I know is there.

Can't believe Ford either. Also complained that the headlights and taillights fog up often, the service adviser submitted the pictures and apparently it is "normal". It only becomes an issue when you see goldfish swimming around, apparently lol