Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stock fox hood latch at 150mph+

TurboFox

Stock fox hood latch at 150mph+

I know that people have all sorts of problems with the factory hood latch and fiberglass hoods but how about with a stock steel hood? My understanding is that the factory latch tears right out on fiberglass hoods?

Long story short I have a stock steel hood on my car and I want to remove the pins and simply run a factory latch. Will this survive 150mph plus??

edit: I wonder if I could just run a small chain or hidden hood pin that could be hooked through the grill just to be safe. Anyone ever do this?

tulowd
    Your car is going to be a handful at 150 mph without some aero work. Front and back end are gonna wanna lift...methinks you should be shopping for a big ass wing and something for the nose.

TurboFox
    Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    Your car is going to be a handful at 150 mph without some aero work. Front and back end are gonna wanna lift...methinks you should be shopping for a big ass wing and something for the nose.
    Its not that bad. Ive already hit 142mph in the quarter mile and will probably be quicker next year. Im sure it would be hairy if sustaining that speed but Im just talking at the top end of the drag strip

TurboFox
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    apocolypse's steel hood flew up on him, at less than 150 I believe.

I bought a set of aerocatch latches for piece of mind. (yet to be installed, but it's currently doing 0 kph on stands)
    I have aerocatch pins on my car now... Would prefer no pins

Stock hood on the Cobra started to look scary as we went up and over 250, looked like it was gonna explode as we rounded 260k.

Slope
    The problem mainly lies with the El Cheapo knock-off Fox hoods. There isn't enough structure in the latch area.

The Stormin' Norman hood that used to be on my Brother's car is an excellent example.

I'd trust a hood from any of the known quality manufacturers: Harwood, Cervini's, etc...

HyperGT
    duct tape?

Slope
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    The trouble with those hoods is that they weigh as much or more than a steel hood.
    The 2" Harwood cowls on both my Brother and Landlords car are substantially lighter than stock.

Slope
    Quote Originally Posted by Slope View Post
    The 2" Harwood cowls on both my Brother and Landlords car are substantially lighter than stock.
    Yet in contrast, the 4" Cervini cowl I have on my Project Car is rather portly...

My fiberglass hood blew off my 94 Mustang and it was only running 11.6 @115mph at the time. Honestly I wouldn't race a car that runs faster than a 12 without them. As soon as I let off the gas after the traps it came up, all I seen was silver and it ripped off the hinges and I watched it fly 30 ft in the air thru the rear view mirror. It ruined my hood, cracked the cowl, smashed the windshield, dented the roof and one pair of underwear had to be tossed. Scared the hell out of me. I didn't like the looks of them and paid the price. I ended up repainting the car.