Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  816
Page 166 of 176 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 1752

Thread: Fat azz to lean thread.

Thanks Al.
    For me, setting reasonable targets helps the journey. Next one is 199.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Thanks Al.
    For me, setting reasonable targets helps the journey. Next one is 199.
    Have you identified what's working and what's not? Holding gains are easiest with lifestyle changes versus "temporary" deprivations.

For me one meal a day works. That and loose meal prep via batch cooking and portioning. For me portion size creep and extra calories with snacks are dangers.

bloodwork is not mentioned in this thread.

testosterone levels make a big difference in fat loss, as well as a number of other male traits we value.

PSA levels are also pretty important. I get my levels checked minimum annually and frequently at 3 month intervals.

lots of other factors to get tested but trending is super important, not just snapshots every decade or so.

Cholesterol levels are demonized and a good many of use still have vestiges of the "low fat" generation. Cholesterol was demonized as the source of Eisenhower's heart attack. No mention of his multi pack a day smoking habit. My total cholesterol is high normal but LDL (good) very high versus lowish HDL (bad).

my point is getting regular bloodwork done is important to fat loss as well as general health.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    Have you identified what's working and what's not? Holding gains are easiest with lifestyle changes versus "temporary" deprivations.

For me one meal a day works. That and loose meal prep via batch cooking and portioning. For me portion size creep and extra calories with snacks are dangers.
    Originally cut back just because but 12 wks in got some health news that forced the change to be a permanent one. What I've done, cut out virtually all the crap and dropped meal sizes down but do allow some snacks. Working well in spite of not adding any additional exercise into the mix.
    Funny enough, blood work for a potential issue with a current med brought new problem to light.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Originally cut back just because but 12 wks in got some health news that forced the change to be a permanent one. What I've done, cut out virtually all the crap and dropped meal sizes down but do allow some snacks. Working well in spite of not adding any additional exercise into the mix.
    Funny enough, blood work for a potential issue with a current med brought new problem to light.
    another validation point for getting regular bloodwork done.

Remember the adage that weight loss is done in the kitchen, fitness in the gym. Think of them as two separate but parallel efforts. Exercise for weight loss is a recipe for failure as you'll put in extreme effort, for little to no weight loss which is demoralizing.

Being fit, more muscle does improve your BMR slightly but doing a crossword also ups your BMR.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    another validation point for getting regular bloodwork done.

Remember the adage that weight loss is done in the kitchen, fitness in the gym. Think of them as two separate but parallel efforts. Exercise for weight loss is a recipe for failure as you'll put in extreme effort, for little to no weight loss which is demoralizing.

Being fit, more muscle does improve your BMR slightly but doing a crossword also ups your BMR.
    I can't agree with this too much —I can burn 800 calories in a 40min. 10k run and that allows me to cheat a little or lose weight. Cardio exercise taken to limits will burn tons of calories. Pair the two with a good diet and your laughing. I'm also not sure about one meal a day especially if the individual is pre-diabetic or diabetic. I could never do it. For a person who has never had a strong fitness regime a good brisk walk and a good diet will do wonders. Be careful with the one meal a day it may be good for short term but I wouldn't risk it long term.
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

strenuous exercise like running increases appetite. If you're going to attempt to use exercise to burn calories, resistance training is more effective than cardio. Resistance training also adds muscle which requires more calories to maintain and will make you more attractive. I do cardio a couple times a week, simply to keep myself off statins and for the fitness. I know it's not making me more desirable other than staying power but that's after the deed is underway and therefore not a factor in attraction.

Walking is a great weight loss exercise, it does burn additional calories but also has minimal effect on appetite. In the bigger picture the additional calories burned from exercise won't make near the difference a calorie deficit will , even with exercise.

Regardless of the exercise form, it'll make you ravenous, and almost certain to consume more calories than have been burned.

Exercise is important for fitness.

Calorie control is important for weight control.

On bloodwork, and particularly PSA

I just had blood drawn and thankfully my PSA is still low at 0.47

LifeLabs has dominance if not a monopoly on bloodwork. Overall quick, efficient BUUUT:

Trending of decimal values (like my 0.47) cannot be trended using their analytics. Considering PSA is a key mens health indicator I find this disturbing. I've been getting PSA testing for about a decade and a change in numbers is key to early detection.

PSA needs to be trendable with the monopoly blood lab.

I messaged and then followed up with a phone call to customer support (with a dude no less) who basically told me to pound salt.

Trending a decimal value isn't rocket science. I asked for escalation both on my phone call and email chain. I sense this is going nowhere.

More people need to ask for this functionality. If this was a breast cancer indicator it would be done.

If you test for PSA, ask for this trending. If more requests happen changes will be made.

If you don't get PSA testing done, look up what happens with prostate cancer, not fun.

I hate when people stand over me and suggest another way to do my job, I'm just weird that way. —I will have to remember pound salt.
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    I hate when people stand over me and suggest another way to do my job, I'm just weird that way. —I will have to remember pound salt.
    how do you keep track of your PSA?