Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any legalities to gutting interior?

b1lk1

Any legalities to gutting interior?

I am seriously considering gutting my interior, installing a cage and 2 race seats with proper seat belts, any legalities on public roads? I would assume that as long as I have safety equipment and such I'd be fine. I will be leaving the full dashboard and heaterbox as I don't want to lose defrost capabilities. Thoughts?

With a cage you will be severely limited to your choices of insurance provider. Most won't touch them.

Insurance company will likely drop you with a cage.

...unless you agree to wear a helmet all the time.
    -Don____________

TheMustangShow
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Insurance company will likely drop you with a cage.

...unless you agree to wear a helmet all the time.
    LoL!

b1lk1
    Well, I only have the most basic insurance, I would likely have a memory lapse considering I already told them it was unmodified. If I wreck my car/get hit I won't get crap anyways unless it is 100% the other person's fault which is probably not likely in good ole no fault Ontario. Not really worried about that, more worried if I can get a ticket. I also realize I'd be a more likely target for the cops, but since I am 47 years old, I have some restraint in public.

MEANMCHN
    My insurance company simply wants me to get an appraisal of the vehicle, however I asked whether they had any problems insuring my Jeep and if they could give me an insurance quote on a Porsche 911 GT3 before I asked about my Mustang (both of which come with a cage). She said they'd have no problem, they just need to classify it in the hot rod/special use class.

b1lk1
    Any idea on how much more it costs for the special insurance?

In many cases, cage determines if they'll insure for even just liability or not. Their take, full coverage or not, they are still on the hook if your injured in the car via accident benefits.
    Mines with Hagerty, will drop all coverage if caged.

MEANMCHN
    Quote Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
    Any idea on how much more it costs for the special insurance?
    I pay $81/month total. No additional charges, but it's a secondary vehicle so it's not insured to drive to work, park at high theft areas (GO stations) or out of the country for more than 6 months at a time.

b1lk1
    Can I use it for transportation? Are there mileage restrictions? You're paying only about $200 more a year than I am now so the legality of the coverage as far as liability would be nice. Besides that, after I sell my interior I'll have the extra cash, lol.

EDIT: I don't work as I stay home to take care of my disabled wife. I would be parking in grocery stores/stores in general and taking it to the track.