Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any legalities to gutting interior?

Canadianii
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Insurance company will likely drop you with a cage.

...unless you agree to wear a helmet all the time.
    That's another thread and site.

b1lk1
    My friends do say I am sorta "special", lol.

TheMustangShow
    I think the challenge with ANY ambiguiity on an inusrance policy is if anything major happens, like going off the road into someone's living room and setting the place on fire or killing someone is that the Insurance Co., when faced with MAJOR Claim Exposure, will immediately start looking for ways NOT TO PAYOUT and a review of your car in relation to what was signed for on thepolicy/appraisal/etc. will occur and any discrepancies will result in COVERAGE DENYED and the dude who's house you hit and burned down will OWN you, for the rest of your days.

Also, knowingly omitting info or misleading on an Ins. application is a believe a criminal offense now, which opens up a whole other can of worms.

Fckin around with Insurance with blatant lies about your ride or BS info about your residential address, is just not worth the risk now.

MEANMCHN
    Quote Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
    Can I use it for transportation? Are there mileage restrictions? You're paying only about $200 more a year than I am now so the legality of the coverage as far as liability would be nice. Besides that, after I sell my interior I'll have the extra cash, lol.

EDIT: I don't work as I stay home to take care of my disabled wife. I would be parking in grocery stores/stores in general and taking it to the track.
    It really depends on your insurer. I've been at-fault accident free with no claims for the life of my policy and driving record with no tickets in the last 8 years. Basically I've just been open with my insurer, she knows I take the car to the track and the car is only insured from the time it leaves home to the track. It's a special use vehicle, I don't take the car anywhere but to and from the track, it's not a cruiser. I don't think I have it in my insurance that it's ok to park it basically anywhere. But if you're gutting your interior and adding a cage you're probably in the same boat. I'm sure if I told my insurer that I wanted to get groceries in it or go for a cruise it wouldn't be a big deal, at this point I'm the easiest money she's ever made. All depends on your driving record and how well you know your insurer. If you're with State Farm or something it's probably different, but I've always used an insurance agent that I know personally.

MEANMCHN
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMustangShow View Post
    I think the challenge with ANY ambiguiity on an inusrance policy is if anything major happens, like going off the road into someone's living room and setting the place on fire or killing someone is that the Insurance Co., when faced with MAJOR Claim Exposure, will immediately start looking for ways NOT TO PAYOUT and a review of your car in relation to what was signed for on thepolicy/appraisal/etc. will occur and any discrepancies will result in COVERAGE DENYED and the dude who's house you hit and burned down will OWN you, for the rest of your days.

Also, knowingly omitting info or misleading on an Ins. application is a believe a criminal offense now, which opens up a whole other can of worms.

Fckin around with Insurance with blatant lies about your ride or BS info about your residential address, is just not worth the risk now.

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by MEANMCHN View Post
    But if you're gutting your interior and adding a cage you're probably in the same boat.
    This.

You gut the interior and put a cage in it, it will become a special use vehicle (a race car). Nobody will insure that as a daily driver.

+1 on being up front with your insurance co., not worth the risk of being denied a claim.
    It took me a solid month of back and forth with my broker to find the right policy for me.
    -Don____________

tulowd
    In my opinion you should leave the OEM seatbelts fully functioning; add the harnesses separately. If the cops see you driving with a harness, they can fine you for improper seat belt usage at the very least; pull your plates if they really wanna be dix.
    Roll cage tubing needs to be fully covered in foam - but even in that area, there is no certainty about how dangerous that can be to you with out a helmet on.

Seat mounting should also be re enforced - the rears 2 mounts at least anyways. Harness bar also needs to be solid, since it is going to hold you and the seat in place if, heaven forbid, you ever should crash.

b1lk1
    I'm with StateFarm but with the sellout not sure if my agent is gonna have the same options, looks like I have some phone calls to make.

No rear seats, only front. Padding sounds logical too. I'm willing to accept my own risks, but I understand that it doesn't work that way. Good tip on the seat belts, will do that for sure.

Ins companies are more worried about risks to others. If you are in a wreck with another vehicle and it is determined that the cage caused damage/injury, you'll be sunk. I have read about cages, and even subframe connectors, altering the factory crumple zones engineererd into the car. If the car does not crumple in an accident the way it was designed to because of the cage, you can be liable for damages/injury to others. there are too many ways that mods can void warranties so it is a big risk, especially if it comes down to paying out for injuring someone else.

also, be careful when calling insurance companies. some may drop you just for inquiring or it could end up on your file that you asked.
    BECAUSE RACECAR

Quote Originally Posted by Not4you View Post
    also, be careful when calling insurance companies. some may drop you just for inquiring or it could end up on your file that you asked.
    Never use an insurance co. agent.
    Always use a broker. A good broker is on your side, and acts as a middle man.

My broker worked his ass off finding me the right policy.
    -Don____________