Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: opinions on summer performance tires...what you using?

opinions on summer performance tires...what you using?

So...need to replace the meats on the stang this summer...currently have Toyo Proxes ra1's 275/40/17's all the way around...fronts rub, all are bald... never really had a chance to try them as they came with the rims and pretty much used up. Rims are 17x9 with a 26mm offset. Im currently looking at...

Nitto - NT05's 255/40/17 front, 275 rear

Hankook - Ventus Rs3's 255/40/17's al the way around

Toyo - Proxes Ra1 255/40/17 front, 275 rear

also.. Ive been reading a lot about the Dunlop Direzza ZII star - something rather- tires lately. Seem to be a lot of good reviews on them!

OK, so what is everyone running..?? mostly looking for street tire with maybe a couple auto x's a year.. maybe?.. Looking for educated opinions, links, anything...!

Post 'em up!!

Make mine a vote for Nitto 555.
    Running 315 on 10.5's and 275 on 9" fronts.

TheMustangShow
    That RA1 you have is a nasty tire, but it is more of a Track Day or Comp tire, won't last long if you run it on the street...

I run the Nitto INVO on the Street and happy with those, 555 great tire too, but Nitto don't make my Fitment in that tire.

Michelin Pilots SS are great too.

Dunlop Direzza ZII star

Not sure on a heavy car but work very well on a pair of customers running them on Miata's.

tulowd
    1) 255/40/17 tire is what is made for a 9" wide 17" rim. The 275 is too wide, and the car will understeer. Having the same sized tires will give you app 50% more total tire life because you can rotate them instead of burning the rears off at 2-3x the rate. Will depend on your power level and driving habits, obviously.

2) the Nitto NT05 is not the best tire for a Fox I've heard, neither is the Invo. Both appear better suited to heavier cars. I run NT01's at the track (255's on 17x9's all around) and they are stellar. Have NT555's for the street on 17x9 and 17x10.5 (255 and 275) and they are great value for the money but not very sticky for track or autocross duty in my opinion. They are also skinny for their size - a 275 NT555 can work ok on a 9" wheel.

3) I was going to buy the Ventus as they seem to be the best $$ value for a sticky dual purpose tire; the Toyo R888 is the other one I was looking at.

4) Calculate your expected mileage per season and then decide. I only drive 5000 km/yr, so I don't care about tire wear moving forward. Sticky for dual purpose and with some kind of tread so the po po are happy is my plan. A super sticky autocross tire is likely no good for anything else, as they are designed to heat up super fast. Not exactly ideal for street or Mosport, unless you wanna wear a set out in a day, lol.

5) I would go with a tire of 200 or lower UTQ rating as that is likely to be sticky and very hi performance oriented. Road force balance them as well. Consider wet traction if your car is a daily driver. Hydroplaning sux, unless you're name is Ayrton or Michael.

Pls let us know what you end up doing.

I wouldn't say that a 255 is a perfect tire for a 9" rim....03/04 cobra came with 9" rim with 275/40/17 all around. I run 9" rims front and back with Nitto 555's.....255 front 275 on back
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    I wouldn't say that a 255 is a perfect tire for a 9" rim....03/04 cobra came with 9" rim with 275/40/17 all around. I run 9" rims front and back with Nitto 555's.....255 front 275 on back
    Almost every 255/40/17 tire listed on Tire Rack website shows the ideal width to be 9". My understanding is that tire and wheel size was originally developed for the back of 911 Porsches several generations ago.

The smallest 275 tire lists a 9.5" wheel as ideal width. You want to have a properly shaped sidewall, not a bulge or a pull out for best traction in corners and for crisp turn in. The Cobra likely came with the wider tire for some additional sidewall height and ride comfort.

Drag race guys have a different opinion on stuffing a big tire on a narrower rim because their primary concern is launching/traction.

The nittos do run slightly smaller....
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

Not a fan of 255 on a 9" rim either, looks right on an 8 or 8.5 though. My 275 Nitto's have an almost perfectly flat sidewall on the 9" rim.
    I just sold my extra set of Cobra rims with original 275 tires on em, flat n square sidewall as well.

Yeah, 275 Nitto fits well on a 17x9

I use the NT05's as my track tire, and I like the 555's for the street.
    -Don____________