Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 4V Underdrive Crank Pulley / Balancer Question

98snake

4V Underdrive Crank Pulley / Balancer Question

Hello All,

I'm looking to squeeze all the power I can from my 98 Cobra while keeping it n/a and was looking to install a March Performance 1158 crank pulley balancer. The cost for 10 or so rwhp seems like a no brainer however...my problem is that there is a lot of conflicting info out there on the web. Some say not to install an underdrive crank pulley on a 4v as it can cause costly oil pump failures and others have ran underdrives for years without any problems. My car is a summer driver that sees a track a few times a season at most.

Does anyone here have underdrives on their 4v Cobra?...any issues?

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Bryan

I'm a fan of the Steeda underdrive pulleys, quality is hard to beat.

I run the March pulleys on my 98 cobra and have had zero problems. Get a new ARP crank bolt and make sure that you torque it.
    Steeda pulleys look to be the same quality but I have no experience with them.

98snake
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 Snake View Post
    I run the March pulleys on my 98 cobra and have had zero problems. Get a new ARP crank bolt and make sure that you torque it.
    Steeda pulleys look to be the same quality but I have no experience with them.
    Thanks 98. Are you running a three piece kit? Any track time with them on? Reason I ask is that some engine builders have expressed concerns running a smaller crank pulley at +6500 rpm in our 4v's. BTW...nice car and nice screen name...I think

Thanks ZR. What's weird is Steeda.ca only seems to lists the March 1158 pulley / fluid dampener on their website and not their own Steeda brand??

Maybe it's been dropped.
    Impressed with their version I ran on my former 2V GT.

Yes I have the 3 piece set. I have run it on the road course at 7000 rpm lap after lap without any problems. I read about the same problems but haven't experienced any yet
    Thanks and yeah I laughed when I saw your name lol

I had the 1158 crank pulley on my cobra for a few years before I sold the car. Works 100% Zero issues. I heard that some have problems with the 3 piece kit not charging enough. That's why I got just the lower.