Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Issue with Fuel Gauge

Issue with Fuel Gauge

Had to move the Mustang today. The battery was dead, so I jump started it with a booster pack.

While the battery was charging I noticed the needle on the fuel gauge was pointing straight down. It normally sweeps left and right in the up position.
    The needle moves when the power is turned off and on. I have checked the fuse.

Any thoughts about what might be wrong. Maybe the ground by the fuel tank is an issue?

Thanks in advance.

BTW the car is a 2005 3V GT

With the battery have been dead, possible it just needs to run / be driven long enough for the module to relearn to balance the signal from left / right level sensors. Also possible it's one or both senders acting up due to a build up of sulphur. GM's fuel system cleaner plus has Techron in it, many see the gauge return to normal after using a bottle or two. If your lucky enough to find it, Chevron's Fuel system cleaner also contains it and is usually much cheaper. GM stuff is just rebranded Chevron (bottom of the gm bottle has Chevron emblem).

In the future, always safer to at least partially charge a dead battery vs boosting from absolutely flat. Had a similar issue with my Cobra, when boosted, shot speedo needle up and over it's stop. Had to remove / pull cluster apart to repair. Not a supper common issue but can happen.

KIDAGIN
    A few weeks ago I left the interior light on in my DD and killed the battery. I boosted it to get going. Then a couple of days later I noticed the passanger window didn't work. Today I searched the internet a found a minute procedure to reset and reprogram the windows. Problem solved.
    Some strange things can happen when the battery is removed or dies.

Pretty odd isn't it Doug.

KIDAGIN
    Yep had me wonerding for a bit

Good on ya for figuring it out.

KIDAGIN
    Was happy for the easy solution

As stated often times boasting a battery can do stupid stuff to the electronics. You may need to remove the cluster and re-time the guage. I've often had clusters out for this same issue, usually turn them upside down, and lightly tap them to reseat the needle in question.
    Do you know how much fuel was in it? Smart guy like you would likely have the tank full for winter storage, so you could try burning some of that fuel off, and filling at afterwards, the needle may return to its proper position.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    As stated often times boasting a battery can do stupid stuff to the electronics. You may need to remove the cluster and re-time the guage. I've often had clusters out for this same issue, usually turn them upside down, and lightly tap them to reseat the needle in question.
    Do you know how much fuel was in it? Smart guy like you would likely have the tank full for winter storage, so you could try burning some of that fuel off, and filling at afterwards, the needle may return to its proper position.

Thanks for the compliment! LOL

But yeah the tank is full. I won't be driving it for another month or so.

BTW I was moving the mustang as I've sold my 280zx, the one with the low miles. Guy is picking it up next weekend.

The project, or the nice one?