Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why would anybody build up a 302?

Quote Originally Posted by Tailites View Post
    nice......

& your Fox has a...?
    Still has the 5.0 in between the fenders bro. But waiting in the wings is 6.0l with a o/d trans.
    But trust me on the sunscreen !!

stangabang
    My next block will be a Dart 363. Just wasn't in the cards this year.

b1lk1
    If you have to buy a harness for a LSx swap and then pay for a tuner/tuning program you will have spent as much as it costs for a dart 302 block.

Only thing cheap about the LSx swap is the motor/tranny combo. You'll still spend thousands getting it to fit and work, you're not saving money. Important upside to the LSx is that even the lowliest 4.8L will make incredible power reliably with a stock longblock, add good parts and the power goes up exponentially.

LSx swaps are for those that have the extra $$$. I do not, a 302 will always grace my fenderwells, not because I wouldn't do the swap, I just realistically cannot afford it. Best part for me is people dumping 302 stuff so cheap I already have almost 2 complete motors and will just keep adding to my stash, lol.

^^^ You would be surprised how cheap a LS can be..

Used low k motor (2005)and up complete with harness and ecm for around 1200 bucks.

b1lk1
    I know how cheap they are, I sold 3 of them. I'm talking all the extra bits you need to make/buy to finish the swap. Wiring/tuning alone is $1K+ if paying someone.

If you have the $$$$ I'm definitely a HUGE fan of the LSx swaps, crazy streetable power. Just out of my league. To put my budget into perspective I had to scrape up the $40 I needed for a new bypass hose and coolant.

TurboFox
    its a whole lot cheaper compared to simply buying a set of aluminum heads for a SBF

Slope
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboFox View Post
    its a whole lot cheaper compared to simply buying a set of aluminum heads for a SBF
    Go away.

ok...so whats the general consensus around here?...

we build 302s because we already have em?

TurboFox
    honestly if you are happy with 300hp then by all means keep the SBF.

But the cost of an LS ECU pales in comparison to all the components an SBF needs to make decent power.

I went the expensive route and dropped 2k on the holley hp efi.

So figure you build a ford set up instead and keep your factory ECU. Well 90% of the people will go need to drop $500 on a tune just to get the thing to run right.

With my ECU, it takes care of itself.