Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about helmets

Question about helmets

So with track day approaching, i have been thinking about a helmet.

But what do i really need?
    Keep in mind i have a factory power plant Fox that runs the streets most of its life.
    looking at Summit they have helmets from $30 to $500 or more.
    Is there a certain spec we need to run on these track days?

TurboFox
    I think currently you need snell 2000? But there should be an nhra rule book kicking around online to check

Helmet such as the one in the link will serve you well at a very affordable price.
    Several peeps here (including me) are using one.

http://www.racinghelmetguide.com/hjc...et-review.html

I'm doing a track day in the states this summer and their requirement is Snell 2005 I believe. Not sure what TMP requires.
    BECAUSE RACECAR

Auto Racing Helmet Ratings

HELMET RATINGS...WHAT DO THEY MEAN?
    Auto racing helmets are rated by Snell as either SA, M, or K...
    Snell SA Rated Helmets:
    Snell "SA" (Sports Application) rated professional helmets are designed for auto racing and provide extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection.
    Snell M Rated Helmets:
    Snell "M" (Motorcycle) rated helmets are designed for motorcycling and other motorsports. They offer slightly less protection than SA rated helmets.
    Snell K Rated Helmets:
    Snell "K" (Karting) rated helmets are designed for Karting applications. They are subjected to the same test standards as SA helmets except the do not require a fire retardant interior.
    What are the key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets:
    - SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
    - SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
    - SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).

How do I know if my helmet meets the necessary Snell requirements for the organizations that I race with?
    Always check your club rulebook to determine what helmet specifications they require. Most clubs seem to allow you to use the current Snell specification, as well as the previous Snell specification. So, in that case, for the 2012 season, you could use Snell M2005/SA2005 or Snell M2010/SA2010 rated helmets. Snell M2000/SA2000 helmets would not meet requirements after October 1, 2010. Bottom line... read your rulebook carefully.
    Also, if you are considering the purchase of a Snell "M" rated helmet, be sure that your club will allow them. SCCA Solo does allow Snell "M" rated helmets, although some organizations that run high speed events will require Snell "SA" rated helmets. We recommend Snell "SA" rated helmets because they will be legal for any type automotive activity you participate in.

What is the current Snell rating?
    New ratings typically come out every 5 years. The current Snell rating is 2010. We carry Snell SA2010 helmets. Snell M2005 and Snell SA2005 rated helmets are no longer available.

When will Snell SA2015 Rated Helmets be available?
    Snell SA2015 Certified helmets will be available for sale on October 1, 2015, when the new standard takes effect. You can read the official Snell statement here. That being said, if you are in need of a new helmet now, there is no need to wait for the new helmets. The current Snell standard of SA2010 will NOT be obsolete when the new SA2015 helmets are released, so you will be able to continue using a Snell SA2010 rated helmet throughout the SA2015 life cycle of 5 years.

Most venues only require you show up with a helmet meaning it's rating is left up to you to decide how safe you wanna be. Is a DOT approved or perhaps non Auto sport Snell rated helmet safe enough, can't answer honestly as I just plain don't know. What I do know, HJC helmet I posted does have the correct approval and will not break the bank.
    Got mine in flat black, love it. Also comes in gloss white.

HJC Motorsports AR-10 II

Open face helmets are another option.

Half or 3/4 helmets such as these are not ok.

Got mine from these guys. They've moved to the Allen Rd n Sheppard area.
    http://www.sportscarboutique.com/col...AR10-II-Helmet

So after doing a bunch of the same research myself
    Cayuga at least will accept Snell M or SA, being that SA is the proper auto racing helmet I did not look into M any further
    The standard is to accept up to two Snell ratings old meaning that 2005 and 2010 are accepted now (2015 is coming out soon)
    Weight and comfort are the two biggest things to compare, comfort is pretty difficult without trying them on though.
    HJC, G-Force and Bell all are popular, simpson is as well but start at around 500.
    After trying the different models on at Autorama I decided on one I had been eyeing online from Racequip, they are actually cheaper then a lot of others, very well made and I believe performance improvements is a distributor.
    http://www.racequip.com/autoracinghelmets.html