Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the ideal tire size for a 17x10 rim?

Beware the Masher!!!

What is the ideal tire size for a 17x10 rim?

Currently have 17x9's on all 4 corners but seriously considering staggered and buying 10's for the rears. All current rubber is 255/40's. Would those squeeze onto a 10, or should I go bigger like a 275?

James

really depends on the tires you're looking at (manufacturer I mean) as they tend to be different sizes...bfg, goodyear, generally run wider, where as Nitto for example run more narror on the "same size" tire in comparison

on a 10, in general...I'd go with like a 295 or 305 but I like big meat!! (not to sound gay)

I have 315's on mine now on a 10.5" rim and it gives the perfect bulge IMO

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    What has GR been talking about non-stop for the last 2 months? Changes the conversation to it no matter what subject you are trying to talk about, LOL.

My vote is 315's as well.

Beware the Masher!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
    really depends on the tires you're looking at (manufacturer I mean) as they tend to be different sizes...bfg, goodyear, generally run wider, where as Nitto for example run more narror on the "same size" tire in comparison

on a 10, in general...I'd go with like a 295 or 305 but I like big meat!! (not to sound gay)

I have 315's on mine now on a 10.5" rim and it gives the perfect bulge IMO
    My tires are Sumitomo's right now. I wouldn't want to mix and match and not sure I will be able to afford swapping ALL the rubber if I do go ahead with 10's on the rear, so likely for now would be sumi's until I do a complete swap on the rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    My vote is 315's as well.
    Wow, 315's! I do have enough clearance as the car wasn't lowered to the extreme. I don't think I'd have to worry about rubbing.

James

I have 285 hancook on my 10" and I could see a 295 being perfect but not a 315?
    Would that not bulge and be sloppy on the track?

Depends on which mfg's 315 you run. Fit perfect on my 10.5's but some like older BFG's are huge compared to my Nitto's.
    Best to go on Tire Rack or similar and look for actual cross section specs vs going off sizes only. Sectional widths can vary huge mfg to mfg.

Quote Originally Posted by Cancermasher View Post
    My tires are Sumitomo's right now. I wouldn't want to mix and match and not sure I will be able to afford swapping ALL the rubber if I do go ahead with 10's on the rear, so likely for now would be sumi's until I do a complete swap on the rubber.

Wow, 315's! I do have enough clearance as the car wasn't lowered to the extreme. I don't think I'd have to worry about rubbing.

I have Sumitomo's HTR Z's on the Trans Am 315's on an 11" rim they run in between Goodyear and Nitto as far as overal width goes for a 315

I'd say you could do a 315 on the 10" rim with a nice bulge on the back that will give you that classic muscle car look!!

if anything, I'd say at least do a 305...again, this is just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    What has GR been talking about non-stop for the last 2 months? Changes the conversation to it no matter what subject you are trying to talk about, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ndinadis View Post
    I have 285 hancook on my 10" and I could see a 295 being perfect but not a 315?
    Would that not bulge and be sloppy on the track?

you don't want bigger tires on the back on the track to begin with...and I think he just wants these for the street, not the track, so he'll be fine with bigger rubber

The only 295 or 305 width 17" 40-series and 35-series tires are track only rubber, so your options will be limited to 275/40R17, 285/40R17, or 315/35R17. My vote would be for the 275/40 or 285/40, but it depends on if you're more concerned about appearance, or not adding to the massive understeer a Fox already has! LOL

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Good points.