Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Liberals buying more votes.

Liberals buying more votes.

Is there no way to rid the province of this bullshit before there is less than nothing left????

Ontario is offering public servants a four-year contract extension with 7.5-per-cent raises, which, if ratified, would avoid possibly contentious bargaining before the next provincial election.
    The Ontario Public Service Employees Union workers would get 1.5 per cent on July 1, then one per cent on Jan. 1, 2019 and another one per cent every six months for the life of the deal. The approximately 35,500 workers and correctional staff represented by OPSEU are employed across the public sector, from administration and enforcement to social work, IT and laboratory staff.
    The possible deal follows the Liberal government’s successful offering to teachers and education workers of two-year extensions that came with four-per-cent raises and more than $275 million in additional funding.
    READ MORE: LCBO workers could strike ahead of Canada Day long weekend
    OPSEU president Warren (Smokey) Thomas called the scope of the latest contract extension offer “unprecedented” and said he suspects it is related to the June 2018 election.
    “I’m kind of shocked the government actually made us any kind of an offer,” Thomas said. “It’s no secret that my union and myself, my executive board, we’re always in a battle with the government…We’re at odds with them on a lot of fronts.”
    But, Thomas said, the offer contains a number of positive changes with no demands of concessions for members, and no matter the motivation he’s looking for the best deal for the workers.
    LISTEN BELOW: Warren (Smokey) Thomas joins AM640’s The John Oakley Show.

READ MORE: Ontario elementary teachers’ union agrees to 2-year contract extension
    Premier Kathleen Wynne disputed that the offer was about the upcoming election.
    “My position has always been, since I’ve been in elected politics, has been that good working relationships with our labour partners is good for the people of the province,” she said.
    For many years now, the government has only been able to offer public-sector workers small increases, as it worked to eliminate a multi-billion-dollar deficit, but the budget is now balanced.
    “One of the reasons that we have been able to come to this position now where we are able to balance the budget, where we are able to make investments, is that we’ve worked very well with our labour partners,” Wynne said.
    READ MORE: Ontario French teachers’ union agrees to 2-year contract with province
    The last deal saw OPSEU workers get no raises in 2015 or 2016, a 1.4-per-cent lump sum payment in 2016 and a 1.4-per-cent raise in 2017.
    The contracts are currently set to expire Dec. 31. Members are set to vote on ratification June 20-22.
    Government officials invited the union to a routine meeting to discuss bargaining and the extension offer was a surprise, OPSEU said.
    The correctional bargaining unit is recommending its members reject the deal, in part because of how it came about.
    READ MORE: Ontario hiring more jail staff, including officers, nurses, psychologists
    “It started as a secretive offer,” said corrections bargaining team chair Chris Jackel. “Then there was some closed-door negotiations with the bargaining team that really was not elected…It bypassed our entire bargaining process.”
    Being presented with an already complete offer means the bargaining team wouldn’t get the chance to look at increases to benefits, vacation entitlements or time off, Jackel said.
    “We want this current bargaining team…to be able to negotiate a fulsome contract from beginning to end and not have something just given to us,” he said.
    In the last contract, correctional officers got the same deal as other OPSEU workers, but an arbitrator ruled their salaries had fallen behind those of their federal counterparts and police officers and awarded them additional raises totalling 4.4 per cent this year.
    The negotiated deal also removed correctional workers’ right to strike, sending future disputes to binding interest arbitration, like police and firefighters.

Yep, Liberals planting the seeds for labour peace and a good chance at getting the public sector vote.
    The Conservatives can't take anything for granted, as in the past, as Wynne is a very savvy politician and knows how to buy the electorate with their and their Grandkids money.

One more year left:
    ....for the Liberals to polish their act.
    ....for the Conservatives to stick their foot in their mouth.
    -Don____________

Why do I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about the next election? I'm sure the Conservatives will find a way to drive everyone to vote Liberal by saying some dumb shit again. This should be their election to lose with Wynne's approval rating in the toilet.

that's because no one like Andrew Scheer. Poor choice IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Speedtospare View Post
    that's because no one like Andrew Scheer. Poor choice IMO
    That's what ranked ballots get you.
    Everyone's second choice but the guy no one really wanted

Have been a Conservative supporter since the 80's, and Patrick Brown just hasn't shown me anything to feel confident about.
    Still will vote Conservative, but it maybe with a clothes pin on my nose.