Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Suspension upgrading

Quote Originally Posted by RAT ATK View Post
    I don't think you can run a 4-point G-load brace with long tubes.
    Pretty sure you can't.. I was looking into one but the MM website made it pretty clear they wont fit.
    '88 LX

tulowd
    will depend on the long tubes, sometimes the vert one can fit

b1lk1
    I have a welder, I'll likely build my own braces, same with strut tower/shock brace. They are pretty simple devices to copy if you ask me.

May look easy but are anything but. Materials used, welding etc play a huge part.

b1lk1
    Been shopping for parts, these 2 are in my cart no matter what:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...r-Control-Arms

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...h-Metal-Shells

Going for rear tires this Friday and ordering those 2 parts. I'm pretty much going to ignore the upper control arms unless the bushings are wasted, if so they will get stock rubber bushings. Can I ditch the quads at this point?

Next up will be struts. I think to keep costs low I'll keep my current springs, they are in good physical and working condition, just wish the car was a bit higher. Will I notice a difference between adjustable struts/shocks and non? Depending on funds I may do caster/camber plates at this time too, I need them.

Then panhard bar, and then, dare I dream, torque arm and bye bye upper control arms.

Spreading this out over the summer, in the stages I listed, does this seem like a logical plan? Remember, car will not be on the track nearly as much as street. I'm not a corner carver, but I want the car to turn when I turn the wheel and I want it to stick better than stock.

Can't agree more ZR, those companies have engineers, I am not. But for the basic braces as long as I use good strong stuff I have little fear of not doing it right.

Quad removed is based on lower arm selection. No problem to remove with MM lowers and stock uppers.
    Springs of the correct ride ht and rate along with corresponding shocks n struts = you'll be happy with the results. Cheap out or mismatch = buckboard that you'll grow to hate driving. Don't need to spend a bundle, just need to match em up.

b1lk1
    I have a buckboard now, but my struts are blown and the shocks are leaking oil. Wish I knew the exact specs on my springs, although they are quite firm as I have yet to bottom out my headers.

b1lk1
    OK, side stepping just a bit, got a set of 17" Cobra rims w/tires coming tomorrow, gonna go see Jeff in Georgetown while I'm in the area to see if he has any taller springs. Otherwise, will just live with what I got. Also had to cheap out slightly on control arms and such, but I'm mostly replacing worn out stuff right now so my budget got raped by the rims/tires.

b1lk1
    Well, decided all or nothing. Took a 350KM drive today to pickup rims/tires. First time since I've owned the car (almost 2 years to the day) I have taken it out of town. Car ran great, although I got a noisy rocker arm or pushrod issue. Not major, just annoying to hear tap-tap-tap. Now running 17" tires, 235/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear. Finally have some traction, at least on warm dry roads, lol.

Got my control arms and suspension bushings from UPS today, gonna get those in ASAP. Now to find a driver's seat with no gangsta lean.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great but yes that bitch is low.