Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Red Top Battery??

B-blown
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Every spring, toss at least a couple maybe three red / yellow tops to the curb after they won't take a charge. Similar results in my own.
    I have a yellow top in my car Rick ,,, it was a rescue battery from battery core pile 3 years ago ,,, I am sure you are aware that a spiral core gel cell won`t trickle charge .... I brought this one back from the dead but it took me probably 3 weeks of charging/discharging to get it cycling again the way it should ,,, I bring it in every winter and once a month a use my smart charger on 6A mode to throw a top up in it after I discharge it for a few hours

B-blown
    Quote Originally Posted by monera96 View Post
    Just coming from a car audio guy... Yeah yellow top and red tops optima are junk after 2008....

Some of my car audio guys have been using the marine blue tops, cheaper and apparently last longer.
    funny you say that I just went and looked at my battery and the sticker on the top says 04/08 so maybe I am just got lucky and grabbing this one

Monera3v
    Quote Originally Posted by B-blown View Post
    funny you say that I just went and looked at my battery and the sticker on the top says 04/08 so maybe I am just got lucky and grabbing this one
    Indeed, MY 96 had a 1500 rms system,
    Got lucky with an 07 bringing it back from the dead a few times, from the car sitting in the body shop so long.

After that my Canadian car audio and Ontario bass forums keep reporting of yellow and red cells shorting out and being unable to hold a charge after 7-8 month.
    I think it has to do with the company that bought over Optima a few years ago.

Eliminator batteries use to be great, Until my aunt got one for her truck which completely shorted out and failed to keep a charge after 3 years.
    Canadian tire did not want to warranty it at first, until I acknowledge we purchased the 9 year warranty, which apparently doesn't even exit within their systems anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by B-blown View Post
    I have a yellow top in my car Rick ,,, it was a rescue battery from battery core pile 3 years ago ,,, I am sure you are aware that a spiral core gel cell won`t trickle charge .... I brought this one back from the dead but it took me probably 3 weeks of charging/discharging to get it cycling again the way it should ,,, I bring it in every winter and once a month a use my smart charger on 6A mode to throw a top up in it after I discharge it for a few hours
    Good point, most are not aware of what it takes to bring those back from fully discharged, almost gotta force feed em, goes against the norm.

yup, force fed the bitch, and she came back. To be safe, I ve drove around with a spare battery and cables for the wkd.. lol.. but for now, seems good... cheers...

Same here with my red-top. It won't charge more than 70% on the 2A trickle. I have to give it at least 6A to get the last bit of juice into her.
    -Don____________