Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1987 Mustang 5 Lug Conversion

SteveEH

Question 1987 Mustang 5 Lug Conversion

Since I have to put new rotors, pads, and the whole nine yards while trying to get my Mother's car back on the road, I figured we might as well upgrade to the 5 Lug conversion. My question is, what all is needed? I know the conversion kits online come with EVERYTHING, but I am not sure if I need everything. I did find a good deal on parts, but I have to get them shipped to me.

Here are the parts that I might be buying, just wondering what else I need to complete the swap.
    - 2 front rotors 11"
    - 2 rear rotors for disc brakes 10"
    - front and rear calipers
    - mounting brackets for rear calipers
    - master cylinder
    - 2 rear axles that are 28 spline

I was told that these parts are from SN95s, but I will be confirming with the guy tonight, and any other info would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Steve

HyperGT
    Read these, especially the first one. It should answer all your questions without us retyping

http://ultimatefoxbody.com/forum/vie...hp?f=197&t=278

http://home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/page7.html

http://www.northracecars.com/Brakes.html

SteveEH
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    if you're going 5 lug go Cobra brakes
    If I was racing the car, or anything related, then yes, I would go Cobra brakes, currently, I am just trying to get the car back on the road, and converting to 5 lug while I am at it. All the "upgrades" will come later down the line.

SteveEH
    So what I gather from the first link is:

If I want to run a wider wheel, to run the 94-95 spindles, I can run 96+ spindles as long as rims are 8" wide.
    I also need to replace spare tire, since 4 lug wont fit on a 5 lug car.
    I am going to need spindles, hubs, hub nuts to spindle, dust caps, 4 spindle to caliper mounting bolts, 0.330" tall spacer, axles, calipers with pads, banjo bolts(?), mounting bolts, and brake lines, caliper brackets, antimoan brackets(?), caliper breacket to axle bolts and nuts, ABS Sensors and wires are optional, ebrake cables (2 FMS M-2809-A cables and 1 FMS M-2810A), SN95 master cylinder with 3-2 port conversion(?).
    If buying new, get the 94/95 rotors.
    Rear axle shafts are 0.75" longer on 94-98 cars, and 1.4x" longer for 99-04 cars.
    94-98 8.8" rear axle will bolt right in expect brake line fittings.
    I can use brake hardware from 94-04, but 99-04 hardware, I need 94-98 axle shaft in 79-98 housing.

All that just from the first link posted above, don't know if I am missing anything or what, but I will continue reading on in the other links.

SteveEH
    Second link is pretty much the same as the first, but in easy read seconds and the third link is the parts page from the first and second links. From the post above, did I understand everything I need, or am I missing stuff?

SteveEH
    Looking at North Racecars, it looks like I can order the whole rear axle conversion, but not the front conversion, which I need spindles and the whole nine yards from a 94-95 GT. Just want to make sure everything is correct before I dive into this project, and to see if it is actually worth my time to do it.

I found a 94/95 cobra master cylinder and a sn95 V6 brake booster worked the best for me.
    You can install sn95 ball joints instead of using the spacers

SteveEH
    Is the 94/95 Cobra MC readily available, or is it come across by luck? I'm guessing the SN95 V6 and GT brake booster is the same? Are they readily available or scrapyard the best place to look? My Mother doesn't want to spend big money doing the conversion, but she thinks it is worth it if I can piece it together for a good price.

Use 94/95 stuff only.

Maximum Motorsports sells the master and line kit.