Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drive Clean Question?

98snake

Unhappy Drive Clean Question?

I finally pulled my car from storage and I have check engine light trouble codes P1516 & P1518 which are Intake Manifold Runner Control codes. I tried clearing them but they soon returned. I went to Ford for replacement parts and they have discontinued all IMRC replacement parts!

I need an e-test to get my sticker..does anyone know what happens with Drive Clean if a manufacturer no longer carries emission parts for your car?

Bryan

Performance Redefined OneQwkStang's Avatar
    Wreckers? or other automotive parts supplier?

What is the part # your looking for?

98snake
    The Ford parts guy I spoke to said that it's a dealer only part with no stock left in Canada and 96-98 Mustang owners south of the border indicate the same. I don't think the used parts option is a good one in this case...from what I'm gathering, these IMRC's are notorious for malfunctioning and the time and labour it takes to get at the IMRC components doesn't seem worth the risk. The other option I have been reading about is to delete the IMRC plates and turn sensor off with a custom tune. I want to keep the stock emission equipment intact and was hoping there was some kind of Drive Clean exemption if an emission part cannot be replaced??

98snake
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    What is the part # your looking for?
    The IMRC actuator and cables...think it's PN# F6ZZ9J559BB.

What parts are you stuck for?
    Many times, plates are gunked up n just need to be cleaned.

There is no exemption, if you just need to renew your sticker you'll need to take it in and have an emissions repair facility diagnose it and try to fix it, they have the $450 repair limit still, so if they can't get parts you should be able to get a conditional pass for just the diagnostic fee.

98snake
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    What parts are you stuck for?
    Many times, plates are gunked up n just need to be cleaned.

That's what I'm reading too but it could also be the actuator or frayed or broken cables too. I have a 98 with composite IMRC plates and as I understand they as less prone to gumming up compared to the 96-97 aluminum plates. When I reach down the back of the intake I can physically move the plates so I'm pretty sure it's the actuator or cables.

98snake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    There is no exemption, if you just need to renew your sticker you'll need to take it in and have an emissions repair facility diagnose it and try to fix it, they have the $450 repair limit still, so if they can't get parts you should be able to get a conditional pass for just the diagnostic fee.
    I'm gonna go talk to a Drive Clean facility tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by 98snake View Post
    That's what I'm reading too but it could also be the actuator or frayed or broken cables too. I have a 98 with composite IMRC plates and as I understand they as less prone to gumming up compared to the 96-97 aluminum plates. When I reach down the back of the intake I can physically move the plates so I'm pretty sure it's the actuator or cables.

Cables and actuators from a Mark 8 should work as well.