Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 170 degree thermostat and IAT reduction

Mrods

170 degree thermostat and IAT reduction

I have a Department of Boost SC kit installed, with an M122 blower and AFCO heat exchanger. I want to install a 160 or 170 degree t stat to keep IAT's down (from heat transfer).

Do I need to adjust the fan setting in any way to accomodate a lower temp thermostat? Is anyone running a lower temp t stat and have IAT's dropped?

Thx

Experience with my own car trying to deal with coolant and IAT temps, saw some results using a larger intercooler tank, same with larger rad and larger reservoir but on a hot day or running at the track it only prolonged temps from spiking. Next was a 170 stat, runs too cold on cooler nights condition with little to no difference on hotter days. Real difference came once I installed an oil cooler to take some of the strain off the cooling system. Engine temps are more controlled, spin off was much more lower IAT II temps (post blower). Not totally fixed but dramatically better, final solution is sitting here under my desk, larger oil cooler with a thermostatically controlled fan.
    Feel 100% confident that will keep my engine coolant / ambient temps exactly where I want them. Even with that part under control, zero doubt IAT's will fall even more but still be outside of optimum on hotter / muggy days, also have a Killer Chiller and or water Meth kit to play with at that point.
    If your engine temps are steady enough now, move to a KC or WM now. If not, fix that before you move onto cooler intake temps. No upside to making an already too hot engine make more H/P and deto itself to bits.

Mrods
    Thanks very much for the insights Rick. I will plan out the IAT reduction strategy now and add an oil cooler to the mix!
    My IAT's are not to crazy, I just watch them fly around after WOT and back down on my Aeroforce gauge, and have become very aware of what they mean now.

water/meth kit...done

google is your friend...tons of great results

guys call it chemical intercooler...

even removing air to air IC

+1 on the water injection kit. I used a basic kit and turned it into an individual port kit using some adaptors on my previous vehicle and it worked so well my temps dropped so much that I stopped using a high concentration of meth and just started feeding the system windshield washer fluid under boost. Works very well however from my experiences you would want to inject it after the intercooler and without seeing your setup im not sure if that could be accomplished. pre blower injection can wear out the blades and pre intercooler injection is not as efficient as post intercooler injection. as strange as it sounds engines love water under boost

also just an fyi you need to make sure that if you are ever running more than 50% methenol mix that you have it turn off before the rev limit if the rev limiter is based on cutting fuel and not spark. not sure what the mustang uses, but if it cuts fuel at rev limiter and you hit the limiter and the pump is still injecting methenol you will have a dangerously lean fuel mixture enter the combustion chamber right at redline.

S197 Mustang GT Convertible Ford Racing 3.73 Gears / JLT CAI / Steeda UDPs / SCT SF3 Tuner / Ford Racing Axle Back Exhaust
    SOLD