Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Installing new heads and cam questions

Installing new heads and cam questions

I'm in the process of installing some TW 170's and a new cam. I have everything off and my question is what should I be using to get all the excess head gasket material and sealer off without gouging the surface? Also what brand of sealer does everyone use on their head gaskets?

Mike

Scaper like the one below or stiff / sharp edge paint scraper is your best friend. Since razor blade versions can see the blade itself shatter into lil bits, always suggest peeps do not use them.
    After it's clean, wipe all surfaces spotless n free of oil with either brake cleans or lacquer thinners (my preference). If using conventional head gaskets, go on dry only, never ever ever use sealant on them.

End rails on the intake, substitute a bead of silicone at both ends for the problem prone gaskets. To ensure intake to head gaskets don't slip while installing / torquing down, glue them to the heads with 3m weatherstrip adhesive . Use just a smear, less is more kinda deal and allow to fully cure before dropping the intake on (upper side to intake requires no glue or sealant).

I have felpro head gaskets so dry it is then. As for the silicone I'll just pick some up from the local parts source or does it need to be a special kind?

Thanks for the help

Plain old Silicone gasket maker is all you need.

Thanks for the help and quick response ZR.

Let us know how you make out.
    Congrats on the new parts.

Well the tips you gave worked like a charm and I'm ready to check the ptv. I'm converting a couple of my old lifters to solid to do this. How in the hell do I get the plunger out to flip it around? I have it all apart and the plunger just gets stuck right at the opening.