Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk coilovers.

Let's talk coilovers.

Ok so scuttlbutts always been, coil overs make your Mustang ride like a slammed Honda. Turns out, nothing could be further from the truth. Cobra started out on H&R race at all four corners with fresh Bilsteins HD's controlling em. Ride was good, firmer than stock but more controlled along with a nice stance, great upgrade. Next, opted for a front coilover kit from MM along with 275 / 300 and 350lb front springs. Wow, way nicer / more controlled n stable ride on the street with 275's up front, nice improvement at lapping days with the 350's up front, money well spent.
    Drove it like that for a couple of years and was very pleased but looking for more at the track. Took the plunge and ordered Koni's all round along with 450lb fronts and 650lb rear coil over set ups from Maximum Motorsports. So there was a problem with the fronts that saw me only able to install the rears before track day n have to stick with the 350 + Bilsteins on the front. Night before during road test, was expecting the rear to feel ridiculous and the front to feel too firm, oddly enough, front felt too soft and rear rides well, very well, who'd a thunk with those huge springs out back (keep in mind, coil over rates are figured differently vs conventionally located).
    So with the front parts issue under control, installed the front Koni's and 450lb fronts on Sunday. Quickie alignment and off we go, be dammed if the bitch doesn't feel even better. By better I mean, dramatically more planted with an even more improved ride. WTF, does the car not realize it's got dump trk springs on all four corners? Put about 300k on it yesterday, ride is good under all conditions from smooth road to choppy secondary one in BF nowhere. Only downside I could find, when turning a corner with ruts, car does have minimal pitch side to side. Easily cured if I dropped to a 100% streed dedicated spring rate front and rear. I'd originally planned to run the following on the street, 350 up front and 450 out back. Car is good enough as is, will leave it and enjoy.
    Trick is to carefully match springs and shock rates. While the Bilsteins did a terrific job with the lower spring rates, not up to the task of what I'm running now.
    Long story short, with coilovers, you can have your cake and eat it to.

Coils have come a long way. I love my KWs.

To quote Carroll Smith in Engineer to Win, "If you are not USING the bump stops, you are running stiffer springs than you need and are therefore giving away some cornering power."

taken from MM coil-over FAQ
    -Don____________

TheMustangShow
    Great to see this come together on your car after trying so many different set ups.

Going to go this route too when I get the take-offs at the end of this season.

Another benefit is you can run much smaller, light-weight sway bars with a proper CO set-up and scrub more weight.

b1lk1
    Let me pose this: I just got a regular set of 250lb rear springs which are linear. Raised it right up nicely. Now, looking to match up some front coilovers for 90%+ street use. I want coilovers up front as they are better in every situation. Car might lap a few tracks a few times in it's life, but the emphasis is on street. While looking I see different length and strength springs for coilovers.

What would be a good street setup for me? I'm putting 255's up front with 275's out back. If I can I may even get tubular lowers for the front to keep full turning radius (my 9" rims rub). I was thinking 12" 200-250lb springs, but I just don't understand how they are rated. Thoughts?

Please remember, I do not have a budget to make my car anything close to a corner carver. Just looking to raise the front to near stock height and have enough compliance to keep my kidneys intact. I don't mind if they are a tad stiff as long as I am doing it properly. My struts/shocks would be considered unacceptable by you guys, but they are what I can afford. I've got a coilover setup on my wishlist (with 12" 250# springs) on CJ Pony for around $700 to my door (that does include a set of balljoints and UPR CC plates too).

Got a link to it?

Killer stet up JT, I only wish.

b1lk1
    OK, those are US prices too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

HyperGT
    just buy ZR's , way better deal.

b1lk1
    No offense, but I already have some of my parts, namely my rear suspension is done and I have new in the box front struts. I'm not asking whose to buy, I need help deciphering spring rates. Besides that I'm paying less for the parts I have listed and I am getting more parts. I realize ZR's is good stuff, but they do not match the rest of my suspension by a longshot.

HyperGT
    not offended at all. A friendly point out to very high quality parts for sale.
    Good luck with your build