Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk coilovers.

Quote Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
    No offense, but I already have some of my parts, namely my rear suspension is done and I have new in the box front struts. I'm not asking whose to buy, I need help deciphering spring rates. Besides that I'm paying less for the parts I have listed and I am getting more parts. I realize ZR's is good stuff, but they do not match the rest of my suspension by a longshot.
    I just installed coilovers on my 89. I used 275 10" springs. With a 9" if used a longer spring the perch would possibly touch the rim to get the ride height I want. I like it a little on the lower side but the 10" spring would have been perfect even if I wanted it only 1-1.5" lower than stock. The 275 spring is good on smooth roads but maybe a bit stiff for the bumpy stuff. If comfort with decent handling is what you want id go 225-250.

Ball joint, be safe, buy Moog or other high end.

CC plates, especially when running coil overs, opt for Maximum motorsports only

Coil over kit, seen little to no problem with them, spring would be good for a cruiser.

Norm, while ride quality is affected by spring choice, even more important, strut or shock selection. Not that I was unhappy with the Bilsteins, Koni combined with agressive springs has it riding even better.

The extra camber from the MM plates comes in real handy when getting it all aligned.
    I had to flip the plates to get enough camber.

Also had to set maximum positive camber on the spindle end of the strut to get enough clearance from the rim and the frame rail. Again, the MM plates came in handy to be able to bring it back to enough negative camber, and more frame rail clearance.

-Don____________

Quality parts = quality results.

b1lk1
    Are CC plates 100% necessary when running coilovers? As you said, my car is a cruiser and I'm not going for more than 1" drop. I already have poly strut bushings, kinda hate to toss them in the not used bin. Not looking for an aggressive alignment as well.

Coilovers must be used with CC plates. Because the wt of your ride now rests on them, reason I suggest higher end like MM. One of those do it once and not have a failure kinda deals. Steeda premium version would also be a good choice / their single plate kit would not.
    Upside, even on a cruiser, gives it a major dose of Mr Feel good + allows for correct alignment.

b1lk1
    Got it, only spent $25 on those poly bushings anyways, no big loss. Guess I'll have to save a few more bucks for the better CC plates too, hate to cheap out $60 or so and regret later.

Some good read.
    I have heard in the past that the fox/sn95 chassis were not designed for coilovers up front. Any truth to that?
    I often thought about doing the M&M K member/coilover kit. I've been using the there C&C plates since the day I slammed my GT, and love them. Great quality parts.

I can only imagine what the underside of that GT of yours looks like... My SN95 scraps everything, and I have the Eibach Pro Kit, not the sportline like yours.